Orp meter

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Boycey
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Orp meter

Post by Boycey »

Hi guys I'm after a orp meter,which one would people recommend? Is it better to have a dedicated meter for this or one which does ph,tds,ect from one unit?
Thanks
Al
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Orp meter

Post by Duncan »

Al go for the pinpoint I had two of these never let me down

dunc
Boycey
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Boycey »

ok thanks Duncan,I'll have a look at those! :)
Al
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

As Duncan says pinpoint all the way mate
Boycey
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Boycey »

Cheers stu!do you use it to maintain your pond or only when using pp ect?
Thanks

Al
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Count me as a vote for Pinpoint, Al,

You can buy cheaper but the quality of Pinpoint meters is hard to beat for the price.

If you get one, I would also buy a few sachets of their 400 mV calibration solutions rather than use cheaper solutions that give 200 mV values because 400 mV is much closer to the 450 mV target recommended for potassium permanganate treatments and, the nearer you can calibrate any meter to the value you want to measure, the more certain you can be of the accuracy of readings at that value. (That makes sense to me but ask if it needs further clarification).

Although Pinpoint say they shouldn't be stored, I've always found that ORP calibration solutions can be stored and reused if they are kept in a cool, dark place in a tightly sealed container that is small enough to have very little room for air after the solution has been poured in. The main point is to GENTLY but thoroughly rinse and dry the probe before calibrating so as not to introduce any water or other contamination into the solution.

BUT, as a sensible precaution, use a fresh solution to double check the accuracy of the calibration before you use it to measure the pond ORP during a potassium permanganate treatment.

As to how often you should check the pond ORP, that's a matter of choice. Some hobbyists argue that they never need to check water parameters until the fish tell them that something is wrong, (sometimes emphasising the urgency of the situation by dying!!!). It makes better sense to check parameters every week because that will give an early indication of anything beginning to go wrong before it has time to become serious. ORP isn't the most important parameter to measure on a pond but if it gives you a sense of security or confidence there is no reason why you shouldn't check it regularly.
Boycey
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Boycey »

Makes good sense,cheers Manky! :)