bleeding koi

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

bleeding koi

Post by Duncan »

had this drop in my inbox today though it might make for an interesting read I have with held the name out of common decency

Hi Duncan,

I hope you are well.

Could I please ask your advice?

I have a Goromo (22" fish) which has a nasty ulcer underneath its pectoral which I need to treat. I have on two occasions netted the fish and 'socked' it into a bowl to which I had previously added the right amount of Maszunai sedating fluid and on both occasions the fish has bled so badly from the gills that within a minute or so after going into the sedating bowl, the water in the bowl is deep pink. On both occasions I have returned the fish to my main pond each time without treating it. It seems to quickly recover when back in the main pond.

Any idea as to how I can sedate this fish for treatment without it bleeding from the gills?

As always your advice would be much appreciated.

this was my reply

This is quite common with bigger fish especially chags for some reason, some fish are just susceptible to it, it has nothing to do with the anesthetic although you using kusuri shite instead of mine should be made illegal <big grin> but in hind site the longer it takes for the fish to go under the longer this phenomena will continue so swapping to my undiluted stuff may help get her under quicker and lessen the bleed time

I'm afraid you will have to bite the bullet and get it done, I can assure you it looks far worst than it is
cheers for dropping by
dunc
ginboomerang
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: bleeding koi

Post by ginboomerang »

Well..

I have a Gin Matsuba that bleeds from the gills even if I look at her funny. When I bought her home, a car journey that lasted 40 mins, she was totally pink and the water in the bag was bloody. She's obviously a Koi that is susceptible to stress and this is how she re-acts.

She's since subsequently bled from the gills if I've removed her from the pond, but I've only done this on one occasion, and it was a false alarm as I thought I'd seen a raised scale on her lower flank.

I don't stress about it and she seems none the worse when I've placed her back in the pond, but, I won't be removing her from the pond again only for absolutely necessary treatment and I'd consider knocking her out if it lessened her stress.

Mark.
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Geoff9 »

When we had a photo shoot a few years back my ISA Showa bled in the bowl, I had never seen that before but I never bothered her again but she is very friendly and a big girl but past her best, I still enjoy seeing her every day.

Regards Geoff
ginboomerang
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by ginboomerang »

Geoff9 wrote:When we had a photo shoot a few years back my ISA Showa bled in the bowl, I had never seen that before but I never bothered her again but she is very friendly and a big girl but past her best, I still enjoy seeing her every day.

Regards Geoff
Geoff, you could be describing my wife there :lol:

Mark.
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Geoff9 »

Hi Mark
Bet she doesn't read the koi threads or you would be in real trouble :lol: if I see her your secret will be safe with me :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Regards Geoff