peroxide and PP yet again

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

peroxide and PP yet again

Post by Duncan »

guys im sick of reading of folks associating peroxide with PP and think they go hand in had , they don't!!! I realise a whole industry is making money out of peroxide but let me assure you don't hit one oxidiser with yet another and expect it to be OK

while its true H2O2 will kill PP it will stay in the water as an oxidiser for a round 4-5 days and guess what its doing? yes it oxidising organic matter AKA your fish!!!!
if you want to have a back stop to halt a PP treatment that will not be anywhere near as aggressive as H2O2 use sodium thiosuphate , common dechlorinator is made from sodium thio and this will kill PP stone dead but not add anything to your pond that's in itself harmful
sodium thio has one more trick up its sleeve it will kill chloramine T stone dead too as well as the obvious chlorine and chloramine it was intended for

yes it fashionable to use peroxide but its not best practice use ST in stead at best the PP/H2O2 things is just a cheap fair ground trick
dunc
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: peroxide and PP yet again

Post by Manky Sanke »

The reaction when potassium permanganate is decomposed by hydrogen peroxide is violent. There are many crazy scientists who post videos on You Tube showing how to risk being blinded by mixing the two, there is typical example on the link below.

With that kind of reaction going on underwater in a pond then, clearly, the surface of the water won't erupt so violently but each molecule of both chemicals is still being torn apart with the same degree of violence and the burning reaction in contact with delicate parts of koi, such as their eyes and gills, can't be pleasant. I've got no way to assess what that would feel like other than to suggest it must be something like dripping some very dilute potassium permanganate into your eye followed by some equally dilute hydrogen peroxide.

WARNING: On the subject of eyes, if anyone is stupid enough to try this type of experiment on their kitchen worktop, especially with the larger amounts as shown in some of the videos, firstly make sure that you can afford a divorce and secondly that you already have 999 on speed dial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_11WR6UVhm8
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Best practice, buy an ORPmeter and keep t at 450mv for 4 hours then you should not need anything else. Guys if you haven't got t then get Duncan's book which explains the whole process perfectly. In the long run it will save you a fortune in un needed chemicals and also by keeping your koi healthy.
spags
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by spags »

Thanks for the heads up being fairly new to koi keeping every where I've been they say peroxide, I never knew what it can do.