a new spot for me

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

a new spot for me

Post by Duncan »

did a pond visit/consult this afternoon and a new bug popped up, i had to do a double take on it because it was big and very fluke like, in fact first glance thought it was a fluke but on a second take on "IT" and another one i spotted and my reasoning changed and im glad it did!!

i advised the client i had not seen anything like it and was sure as a result im sure it was harmless but i dive into my reference books when i got home

as i thought i had seen it before and sure enough i had it was yet another harmless rotifer called "Rotaria" but it has no visible rotating mouth pieces

but here tiz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jHWOs2dHc4

moral of the story dont jump the gun!!

dunc
maxinegrundy

Re: a new spot for me

Post by maxinegrundy »

This is very true Dunc ..i try never to jump the gun.
I have seen some real weird stuff on a slide .. but most truned out to be general pond life.

One that caught me out at the begining of the year ..was what looked to be a yellow gill fluke.
To my horror i found a huge hole in the peck fin of a large chagoi .. took a scrape sample and found the yellow critter.
I have never seen one before and couldnt find it documented anywhere.
I did a fluke treatment .. and treated topically .. within a week another koi with the same symptoms ..huge hole..scrape and the same yellow bug appeared on the slide.
4 koi all went the same way ..hours of researching and still nothing .. so i called Paula Reynolds .. and told her what had been happening.
Sorry but the name of the bug i cant remember(must ask paula again) ..but i was told to treat with Malachite Green & Formalin .. which brought it all to a sharp halt.
So another moral of the story is .. always double check and do your home work !
Max