2-phenoxyethanol

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

dave22
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

2-phenoxyethanol

Post by dave22 »

Hi.

What is the recommended dosage rate of 2-phenoxyethanol for sedation purposes please?

Thanks in advance.

Dave.
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2-phenoxyethanol

Post by Manky Sanke »

Dave,

The standard anaesthetic dose is 1 ml per litre or 5 ml per gallon whichever you find easier to measure. Depending on size, it should take effect in 6 to 7 minutes.

To check that it is fully anaesthetised, hold the fish in one hand for about 10 seconds looking for any signs of muscle movement or that it is trying to flap its tail or right itself. You should only lift it a few inches above the water while doing this so that, if it moves unexpectedly and you drop it, it will land safely back in the bowl.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Dave,

I have found in the past that even if you do the correct dose all fish will react different and some will go under faster than others and will also be in a deeper sedation.

I tend to mix up a bowl with some in it ready making sure i have everything i need to hand so i am ready for action as it where :D The fish then goes in the mixture (and make sure you give it a good old mix up to make sure itas all mixed in with the water which you can normally see when your mixing it) and i will then keep an eye on the fish. As the fish is going under they will start to slow down i then take this opportunely to give the fish a good examination as this way you are not wasting time and can make sure there is no other damage/problems with the fish. Give it a good going over as not only will this help making sure you don't miss anything it stops you standing over the fish waiting for it to go under which will seem like ages :wink:

As Syd has said once under hold the fish above the water to make sure there is no muscle response and if not within 10-15 seconds your ready to go.

I tend not to use one hand on my fish as they are a tad big for that :D :P :wink:

Good luck and hope it all goes well.
dave22
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by dave22 »

Thanks Syd, thanks Gazza.

It all went ......swimmingly! And you're right gazza - some definitely succumb much quicker than others.

Dave
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

We aim to please :D :D :D :D
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

I didn't think to ask before but where should we send the invoice? :?