Koi care treatment

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Koi care treatment

Post by kimr »

Hi All

Here is question that has been baffling me for some time so wondered if anyone could shed any light on my thought's. Here is a link to a Carp treatment that anglers use to treat damaged carp before releasing them
http://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/store/ko ... kit-option

Now in all probability these carp will not be caught again for a while at least, so do these treatments work. As we all know to treat our Koi normally say with an ulcer, it is a every 3 day procedure, which in turn cause's so much stress which then makes the fish take longer heal, we can also cause more damage by getting them out to treat over and over.

As the laws have changed and we as Koi keepers have to use what we are allowed to use would these treatments be of any use in our medical cases.

Thanks for any replies
Markey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Re: Koi care treatment

Post by Markey »

I couldn't comment as I could not see what was in the bottles.
I am guessing the body treatment was iodine based due to the colour.

But there are some very effective topicals we can still use, so I would stick to those,
Spalders
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Spalders »

Agree with Markey, wouldn't use anything Pukka Danny produces on my koi when we have plenty of other options available including Duncan's treatments, as well as Kusuri and Fish Treatment Ltd.
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi

Thanks for the comments, totally agree that we have some very good treatments and most of mine are Duncan's but not being sure how long we will be able to get hold of what we are used to using and know work, it seem's like a good idea to have a look around and see what else is out there.

My though's are that as we all know stress is a huge problem with our Koi and treating them does cause them stress and also getting them out to treat can disturb the healing tissue, a certain product on the market which is meant to cause less handling as such I have found not to very effective on small wounds, so my thinking was if wild carp are treated with this "one off" treatment can or in fact do they work??? Also for the less experienced Koi keeper these treatment's might be the differance between a live and dead Koi.

Also, these are just my thought's, but we can sometime's maybe over treating. For a new Koi keeper you buy a treatment kit and this kit tell's you knock the fish out and do indepth treatment's, as novice it is very scary, so my thought's again, could these treatment's be any good. Not only the one in the link but there are various treatments out there for carp.

I also thought it would be a good discussion

Thanks again for you replies
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

My thoughts are thus but could be wrong. That these wild carp are much hardier and live in a different enviroment which due to low stocking densities is less stressfull to them.
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Dave

Years ago I used to go fishing, and I went to managed lakes and Rivers, and what you are saying does have merit as rivers manage themselves, but Lakes I find are great over stocked the amount of bait being thrown in was vast, fish being caught with all manor of problems, on top of that every fish had a fight for survival due to preditors, so not sure living in these conditions are classed as less stressful, then of course they are being caught, foul hooked, and some fish had really bad damage. I agree the water conditions in general were better, but I would hate to think what the readings would be in height of the fishing season with all that bait in the water. I know my Koi are in much better conditions than lakes.

As I take great care over the health and welfare of my Koi and the treatments I use and trying to learn all the time on how to look after them even better, and also helping new Koi keepers I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of using these treatments and if they had any proof of if they worked at all. These treatments could be of help to Koi keepers if they work. Knowing a lot of Koi keepers also have been or still do fish perhaps some may of had experience of using these treatments.
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

kimr wrote:Hi Dave

Years ago I used to go fishing, and I went to managed lakes and Rivers, and what you are saying does have merit as rivers manage themselves, but Lakes I find are great over stocked the amount of bait being thrown in was vast, fish being caught with all manor of problems, on top of that every fish had a fight for survival due to preditors, so not sure living in these conditions are classed as less stressful, then of course they are being caught, foul hooked, and some fish had really bad damage. I agree the water conditions in general were better, but I would hate to think what the readings would be in height of the fishing season with all that bait in the water. I know my Koi are in much better conditions than lakes.

As I take great care over the health and welfare of my Koi and the treatments I use and trying to learn all the time on how to look after them even better, and also helping new Koi keepers I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of using these treatments and if they had any proof of if they worked at all. These treatments could be of help to Koi keepers if they work. Knowing a lot of Koi keepers also have been or still do fish perhaps some may of had experience of using these treatments.
Hi, I am suprised to hear you say that the lakes are hugely overstocked. More so than in a koi pond ? I wonder how many gallons is in a lake. I know koi become stressed when handled incorrectly, but what about long term,low level stress due to overcrowding. I have heard that large koi require a min of 1000 gallon each. I again wonder if koi kept in lakes have more than this.Again I am only thinking aloud, but find it interesting all the same. Perhaps then if I am wrong it is all down to being overbread for looks.perhaps reintroduced with wild carp?
The next time one of your carp become injured, why don,t you try the treatment the anglers use and let us know how you get on.Best regards and good luck.Dave
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Dave

I may of put that wrongly I should of put some lakes are overstocked and poorly managed, yes again you are right about Koi ponds being on average overstocked which is why we as Koi keepers over filter and do the very best we can for our Koi, some lakes are fantasticly managed but I still feel the amounts of anglers and the amount of bait being used is not that good for the conditions. Fishing is a wonderful pastime and most fishermen truly care about the fish they are catching,I used to fish quite a lot but even then before I knew anything about Koi and how to look after them I did think about the amount of bait being used and what it would do to the lake long term, not so much with rivers as the current would disperse the bait. I also feel that any system that is managed to a point, will be over stocked, the aim of the owner is to make money, one lake system we used was so badly run the state of the fish being caught was awful but competitions were still being held there, there was no closed season, needless to say we stopped using this lake. Some lakes are so popular that there is a waiting list for a peg so again bait will be left from the angler leaving and then the one arriving will bait up before anything else is set up. As Koi keepers we all know carp shouldn't feed in very cold temps but if they got the chance they would eat if we gave it to them. Also these lakes that do charge vast amounts of money have to make sure that people do catch otherwise they will stop coming.

As to your suggestion that I should try these product's I had thought the same thing myself yesterday :D The only way to know if these things work is to try them, and because I have my medical box as back up :D just in case they don't work I think it would be worth doing. I think it would be interesting to see if they do do anything, I will look at buying a couple of different types and see what happens. It may be a while before we get any results but I will do my best to document it and I will let you know the results whatever they may be :?
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

I look forward to any future posts regarding the above and what type of treatments you intend to use and with or without success. Best Regards Dave
fishkeeper61
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by fishkeeper61 »

hi kim in over 30 years carp fishing i have never caught one with bacterial problems ulcers finrot etc only damage from poor handling and spawning perhaps thats why they seem so effective i think they would heal themselves any way i put iodine on any cuts and a blob of bonjela on the hook hole all the best paul
Aqualife2u
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Aqualife2u »

I was a fisherman during my teens and remember using such a product, if i remember rightly it was iodine which came in a dropper bottle. No idea if it worked as obviously i never saw the fish again but if i knew then what i knew now i wouldnt bother.