Advice on CLEANING pond.

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Markey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Advice on CLEANING pond.

Post by Markey »

OK.. I have this....

2,200 Gallons. Block Built Celotex insulation and Fibreglassed.
Midi Sieve - Eco 12,000 - Bio-Max 50 Bead filter.
Skimmer - Eco 8,000 - UV - 3Kw Elecro Heater Clarity Shower with K3 Media.
Airtech 130 to ****** Aerated Bottom Drain.

Currently - This set up is almost empty of Koi , but FULL of Costia - White Spot and god knows what bacteria.

I want to empty it - Clean it, and be CERTAIN that when it is re filled there are NO nasties left behind in the pond, filters or pipework...

Not had a great start to the Hobby, I want new stock to have a fresh start in a fresh pond.

Please advise guys.
Markey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Re: Advice on CLEANING pond.

Post by Markey »

Maybe should add - this pond has gone through Telmin for flukes - Then PP several times - - FMG - WS3 and Salt and back to PP and FMG - And Koi have had 90 minute PP baths (Guaranteed to rid them of costia) And they are still swarming on the scrapes.

So you can see why I need to know this pond is clear before I throw another wallet into it.
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Mark,

With my swimming pool background, I'm a chlorine man, so if I wanted to empty a pond and thoroughly clean and sterilise it I would use chlorine. Maintaining about 10 mg/L for several hours would be effective against all forms of pathogens you are likely to find in water but, as with any disinfectant, it has to come into contact them.

Possibly the reason why your treatments have failed is that you have a build up of silt somewhere in the system where the parasites are hiding.

Costia, for instance, is an obligate parasite that cannot live for more than an hour or two without a host. But if you read this by Duncan, it's possible that it may be able to form a cyst.
http://www.koiquest.co.uk/Costia%20Ichtyobodo.htm

Whether it is possible that these are hiding in silt is speculation but with such a continuous problem, ensuring that the pond was clean would be my first line of approach. Bead filters can harbour a build up of silt if the pump and air blower aren't sufficiently powerful to clean them during the backwash cycle or if you don't clean them often enough. I would start by opening it and looking inside.
Markey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Markey »

Thanks Syd.
That was my first port of call when it didn't stay the course the first time.

I will be opening it again Saturday, but last time there was just a few mm of crud, which I cleaned out.

The only thing I cannot physically check is the 4" bottom drain pipe. I just cannot get into that, but it has good flow and everything else is spotless.
Markey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Markey »

So with no Koi, therefore no hosts..., after a decent normal clean of everything, ( and a PP treatment to be sure)
how long to be sure costia was no longer a threat.??

And what about whitespot - Is that same.. no host it will die off??
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Mark,

I wouldn't like to speculate how long costia or white spot could survive without a host. Some bacteria can survive in a cyst form for years due to their simple internal biochemistry.

Costia are normally stated to be able to only last a couple of hours without a host but might be able to form cysts to outlast what they would call unfavourable conditions. I doubt they could last for years like a bacterium and the time would be dependent on them not drying out entirely but I'm not sure if anyone has tried to research what the maximum time might be.

Similarly with white spot, when it is in the theront stage, where they are free swimming and actively seeking a host, they can only survive for up to a couple of days without finding a host but prior to that they are in a cyst. Their life cycle is temperature dependent before they burst out of the cyst and need to find a host but whether, if conditions were unfavourable, they could remain in that stage for any length of time I don't know. I would suspect they can't but wouldn't like to give a definitive answer on that.