Malachite Green Crystals

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

dave22
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Malachite Green Crystals

Post by dave22 »

Hi.

I was thinking of adding malachite green crystals to my medicine chest as opposed to a proprietary bottle of liquid. Is this the better option?

And how would I use these? Duncan's book talks about 2% malachite green. Is this in the 'over the counter' liquid form, or is this referring to a crystal mix.

If crystals are the best option, could someone please explain how to use them?

Thanks.

Dave
ageinghippy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Re: Malachite Green Crystals

Post by ageinghippy »

Hi Dave,

Sorry, I can`t help you on your `how to use` question, but, if you check out the `Chemical Factory` tag on the main page, you`ll see that Duncan sells MG as a powder (presumerably crystals).

If its good enough for Duncan, it`d do for me. :D

Hope that helps

Chris
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

dave22
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by dave22 »

Just what I was after Duncan. Nice and simple too.

Thanks.

Dave
dave22
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by dave22 »

Another couple of questions if I may Duncan.

If I make up 1ltr of 2% mix using tap water (which should last me for years), will this keep indefinitely, or would It be better to try and just mix smaller amounts of MG as required and save the rest as crystals?

When I mix it, does the water need to be boiling or hot?

Do you have the crystals in stock please?

Thankyou.

Dave
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

I wouldn't normally interfere in this kind of question because, while I will happily talk for England on water chemistry and related matters, koi health is Duncan's area of expertise and he has far more experience in this subject and in selling and using medicinal treatments. Duncan is busy elsewhere at the moment so to answer your question, unless he comes along and tells you otherwise, this is what I would suggest.

The shelf life of premixed malachite green is anywhere from three years to indefinite, depending on who you ask. I personally can't see any reason why it shouldn't last indefinitely provided you give it a good shake before use but even that, in my opinion, would probably be unnecessary, just a precaution against any crystals forming in the bottom of the container. Alternatively, if you want to err on the safe side then only keep it for three years.

For pond use, I don't see any need to mix with distilled water nor do I think you would need a high temperature to mix it although hot water wouldn't harm it. But again, mixing malachite green is something I've never needed to do and some chemicals dissolve more readily in hot water than in cold water so experience might say otherwise.

General guidance for mixing any solid with water is to follow any advice available from someone who has done it before. In the absence of suitable advice for this, or any other powder you want to mix with water, my suggestion is to mix it in a Pyrex glass jug so that you can see whether it has completely dissolved or not. Add the crystals (or other solid) then a small amount of warm water. If that doesn't begin to dissolve the solid then top up to the required volume with boiling water, stirring as you go. With all powders and crystals where you don't have any advice from those who have done it before, do it this way the first time then, from the results, you will know what to do in the future.

As for storage, the general advice for storing liquid chemicals is "store in a cool, dark place". Mostly this is unnecessary but in some cases warmth or light can degrade the liquid. Rather than have lists of which ones actually need to be kept cool and other lists of which ones will degrade if exposed to light, the simplest instruction is to keep all premixed chemicals in the cool and dark.

On a related subject, where formalin is concerned, either to use separately or to add to malachite green, this is something where care needs to be taken because crystals of paraformaldehyde can form in the bottom if it's stored for too long. How long is "too long" depends on storage conditions but since paraformaldehyde is toxic to koi, and probably most if not all other fish, I would suggest that formalin isn't stored for any length of time. For convenience, sufficient may safely be mixed for a course of treatments but apart from that, I would prefer to use fresh.

If anyone has other advice based on their experience or advice from reliable sources, please feel free to add it.
dave22
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by dave22 »

Thanks for your thoughts Syd.

Dave
weasel
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by weasel »

malachite green crystal dosage is 0.25g per 220 gallon from a very reliable source..