Tumour? Cyst?

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Kanundra
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Tumour? Cyst?

Post by Kanundra »

PLEASE DO NOT LOOK AT THESE PICTURES IF YOU ARE SQUEEMISH

I was just wondering if you might be able to aid me in diagnosing the recent death of a Koi. Our 5 year old Shusui female.

Always been a big fish. But this year, went massive, tried everything to get her to spawn and nothing. So we presume possibly egg bound. She had some fin rot about a month ago, we cut and trimmed and she healed well, but stopped eating last week and settled to the bottom, seemingly giving up.

Scraped lots of fish, and nothing, but then found Costia on her (underneath) she didn't look so good, but treated the pond with pp.

5 days later no costia on other fish still, but found some lurking costia on her, and her condition seemed to have worsened. Very swollen underneath with her vent really protruding.

Tried a pp bath, but I don't think she was strong enough and she died shortly after.

AGAIN please don't look... if you don't want to SEE THE INSIDE OF a fish

Autopsy wasn't my idea of fun, but had to be done.
autopsy
autopsy
sick koi.jpg (172.27 KiB) Viewed 2808 times

What we could see was a million eggs. Of course. her right side, fully loaded. But the left side of her was only half full, with a protruding 'thing'

Pictures say more than I can, so here they are. (I am not sure if allowed to post them, but if not. mods please remove)

My husband and I did an autopsy, to see what we could find. Besides a million eggs, although not rotten but this thing that came out was lower to her vent. Maybe that was blocking her... I don't know. Any more experienced people who can help I would love an answer.

The thing we removed, looked like this....
sick koi 2.jpg
sick koi 2.jpg (136.34 KiB) Viewed 2808 times

Again, sorry if this isn't the place I can post these. But if anyone can learn something. Then I hope it helps them and me in the future.

Tumor, cyst, any ideas ?

Much appreciated.

Dawn

I am wondering if it wa
Markey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Re: Tumour? Cyst?

Post by Markey »

Just a quick reply so you know you are not being ignored. Sorry you lost her. I am guessing just egg bound. But will watch with interest to see an expert opinion. Very good pics btw.
Kanundra
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Kanundra »

Sometimes its hard when you're not sure what you are seeing, so people tend not to reply.

Thank you for that. Much appreciated. :)

I want people to see, so that everyone can learn, we don't learn if we don't post or ask... And if pictures scare us, then shame...

Just wondering what the real problem is or was I way off.

D
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi im on holiday at the moment down in Devon but quickly you have two culprits here,

first you have egg impaction this would be the grey/green unviable mass of roe predominently on the left side, because
last but not least you have an ovarian tumour judging by its location on the right hand side and therefore occupying the space reserved for right hand side eggs

my guess is advanced as the tumour was, it was the impaction that most likely killed her

dunc,
Kanundra
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Kanundra »

Thanks Duncan,

Not nice to see, but we know why now. Glad it doesn't happen too often. Have some other nice female koi in our pond.

:(

Again thanks though.

D
Markey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Markey »

Thanks for taking time out to reply Duncan.

ALthough not my Koi, was watching to see what the experts thought.
Good reference for future identification.

CHeers.
Kanundra
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Kanundra »

I agree, I think lots of people probably have Koi die for what ever reason. But not everyone has the stomach to actually cut one open.

We had suspected she just couldn't part with her eggs. Not for want of us trying, but being a little in experienced I didn't know what I was feeling when we anaesthtized her last month. I guess now I know. The mass/tumor was something that I could have felt, if I knew where to feel.

I hope it helps others in the future, and although sad to lose her, I understand why. Rather than just guessing and burying her.
Mattybkic
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Mattybkic »

Good post Dawn

Sorry again for your loss.

Thanks for your pictures. Have created a drop box now, looking to put some pics/videos of my fish I mentioned soon.

Matthew
Kanundra
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Kanundra »

Drop box is brill I love it, and use it for all my writing :)