koi dying

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

michellekoi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

koi dying

Post by michellekoi »

over the last few days i have lost bout 10 koi i have checked them best i can no visable marks or spots gills look ok checked nitrite which is fine any ideas what i can do next as no clue spoke to my mate kim she said ask here any help would be gratefully recieved dont want no more dead ones cheers michelle
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: koi dying

Post by Duncan »

hi

have you checked for ammonia, PH and had a scrape done to do a microscopic examination for parasites?

if not you need to do this ASAP

duncan
michellekoi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by michellekoi »

checked water yesterday all fine done water change today and salted pond need to do a scrape waiting for a microscope off my mate will do this later when he gets home from work any other surgestions ty
Markey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Markey »

As Duncan said, Scrape is needed ASAP.

Meanwhile posting the test readings and a description of your gallonage, stock levels and filter type would be good.

Have to say I am not a fan of pond salting myself, it can limit the treatments you can do if you find the root cause of the problems.
No problem with salt baths and hospital ponds, but not the main pond - Sorry.
Kanundra
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Kanundra »

Problem is now there is salt in the pond what if you have White Spot, and need to use Machalite and Formalin. Or Costia...

You should really never treat unless you know what it is you are treating for. Salt is good for some things, but not in a main pond.

Let us know what the scrape said, and maybe there is a way around what you have already done. :)
martyn james
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by martyn james »

Hi
just a thought, i had a similar problem all things looked ok with pond readings, my water supply carbon filter was not up to much and my local water company were upgrading all the supply pipe work which disturbed all the sediment in pipe work and put larger amounts of heavy metals into water supply, lost some fish untill changed all supply filters now ok.

martyn
fisherman
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by fisherman »

Hi Michelle
Are you talking about Kimr from Kent as I think that we may have met each other awhile back at the club if so I will come out to you Kim should have my details