getting to the heart of the problem

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

getting to the heart of the problem

Post by DaveB »

As you guys know I have had a few problems with some koi I recently purchased and have also one or two small wounds on my other koi.In the past I have usually managed to sort them out without too much trouble. This spring/summer has not been so easy.
Thinking back over the years I have always had a few issues with veining on the whites of the koi especially as temperatures rise. Without going into depth with my set up I have been meticulous with cleanliness. However the only thing which I cannot see inside once in a while is my bubblebead. Even though it has two skimmer baskets before the pump I have suspected the problem might lie there.To prove a point I pumped into the BB a cup full of sodium percarbonate and alloowed to soak for 1/2 hr. After that I was amazed at how much crap was backflushed to waste. It just doesn,t seem right so I have decided after running this for almost 10 years to bypass it completely and go directly over the shower.
This may cause a few clarity issues in th future but I would rather give up the polished water and have healthy koi.
I might try a chamber of static K1 to try and polish the water a bit. at least I can clean this regular and have a look inside on occation.
Best Regards Dave
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Re: getting to the heart of the problem

Post by kimr »

Hi Dave

You are the first person I have heard say they are not happy with the bead filters, I made my own static K1 chanber for my vortex and it worked brilliantly, and I am still amased at just how much rubbish it can hold and the water return being clear. I am sure a lot of people with this system will say the same
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Dave,

Sounds like you may be onto something and although i know guys who run bead filters i am not a fan of any closed system as you just cant see whats going on and if they are not cleaned enough they can go a bit off.
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

kimr wrote:Hi Dave

You are the first person I have heard say they are not happy with the bead filters, I made my own static K1 chanber for my vortex and it worked brilliantly, and I am still amazed at just how much rubbish it can hold and the water return being clear. I am sure a lot of people with this system will say the same
Kimr as always your input is appreciated. I think on some ponds they would work great with something like a seive as pre filtration in front of them would work fine to a point. However as to whether or not when cleaned you can be 100% sure that all the debre is removed. I have a home made easy screen which is brilliant at removing fines but when backflushed only removes 99% of dirt. The 1% is the problem. However I can remove the k1 and get at the 1%quite easily and do this regularly . Not so easy with a BB3. Its not the beads which is the problem, but the prefilter inside the BB. which is the problem. I thought for years that with the BB being fitted on a skimmer I would be OK with a couple of fine skimmer baskets in front as debre removal but I fear this is not the case. I honestly believe if the wounds on our koi are not healing something is amiss.perhaps my Bublebead would be better off installed after my main filtration. Just a thought
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Gazza wrote:Hi Dave,

Sounds like you may be onto something and although i know guys who run bead filters i am not a fan of any closed system as you just cant see whats going on and if they are not cleaned enough they can go a bit off.
Totally agree with this Gazza, couldn't have a filter that acted like a big strainer stuck in an inaccessible case so you couldn't see whether it was clean or not.
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

Gazza wrote:Hi Dave,

Being a bit thick skinned it has taken me 10 years to finally give up on it. What is by far been the most expensive bit of kit I have bought is probably why I stuck with it for so long. It will be interesting to see what a difference it makes. Watch this space
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

One main difference so far is the increased flow rate over the homemade shower, Almost double