Had enough! (or 'ad enuff!)

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Koiette
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Had enough! (or 'ad enuff!)

Post by Koiette »

The loo don't work...............

The dishwasher can't work......................

I can't even wash up as the water pressure is so bad..................

The washing machine is flashing................................. the water presure is so low.......

Now I can't even have my pre-bed nice soak.................. because......................

Yet again, for about the fourth or fifth time, the pond has had to be drained down, the fibreglass holes repaired and the pond refilled.

I am absolutely sick of it!

Glenn will probably moan so much at me for putting this post on, but I am just sick to death of him keep draining the pond down to repair the fibreglassed pond. It cost so much, and we thought that was it, so what on earth can we do should it leak yet again.

Surely once you get a pond fibreglassed, that is it?

Should we just cut our lossed and get the whole thing refibreglassed by someone, then issue legal action against the person who first did the job?

Should we ask him to come back and look at his bad work, considering it took us months to get him to address the obvious problems? - Then hearing him tell me that "your husband could have dealt with himself" (to which I said "with the greatest of respect, had my husband able to do fibreglassing, then he would have done the whole job himself, and not paid you over £4000.00 to do, and despite LOADS of requests, never got a receipt!).

Each time Glenn has to drain the pond down it is such a pain. Apparently we used £400.00 in one month of water now we are an a meter - joy!

I really await comments............. whilst I go and turn the supply off to the pond for a couple of hours - so the household can function, then go to bed!

Koiette

xx
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: Had enough! (or 'ad enuff!)

Post by DaveB »

I know you probably don,t want to hear this but pehaps you could G4 the pond which drys like a rubberised skin. I did this onto my rendered walls and is still sound after 14 yrears( touch wood) Not sure what preperation is required to fiberglass or if G4 is still on the market. If not then there will be something similar out there.Best of luck and hope you get it sorted
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

Koiette,

Sorry to hear you and Glenn are having issues, my view would be to send the guy a registered letter asking him to review his work and a time frame to do it by. See how that goes if he does not then im guessing through the courts is the action.

In the meantime I would get another glasser over to give his evaluation of the issue and the costs, this may even back up your letter to the original glasser, mind you from what I hear most of the glassers about can be a little cut throat in business and they all knock each others work somewhere along the line.

Any photo of suspect areas you can show us whilst the pond was drained? without knowing who glassed your pond I would not recommend anyone, however from my experience from my glassed pond it was a beuty of a job and I was chuffed to bits.

Graham
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Dear Mrs. Annette 'Adenuff,

The problem with fibreglass repairs or applying a new finish such as G4 is that you are trying to get new fibreglass or a painted on treatment to adhere to flow coat which is a waterproof surface that contains wax.

I don't think you will find a paint or other treatment that will adhere to the flow coat without grinding it back to the resin underneath. Fibre glass repairs are tricky but they can be done if enough care is taken.

Have a look at this thread. It's about joining on some new fibreglass to existing fibreglass and it started flaking off. I described how I had done something similar and been successesful. The job was done a year ago, now and it still looks perfect.
http://www.koiquest.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 29&t=11861

If you think you can get the original man to come back and do the repair properly rather than just put some more flow coat over the top of the leak, (which will soon flake off), then that would be the easiest solution but, considering the trouble you have had with him, I'm not inspired with confidence.

The other alternative is the legal route. I'm not a lawyer but I've occasionally been called in to help pool owners who have problems with their previous pool companies and this is what normally works.

You have to write a short description of why you are dissatisfied with his work including his failed attempts at repairs. Ask him to address the problem within 14 days and provide a written guarantee on the original work and the effectiveness of the repairs. Say that, if he doesn't, you will get someone else to do the repairs and you will pursue him for the cost of the repair plus your expenses and other costs such as the water bill.

You have to be realistic about costs and the scale of the repair if someone else takes on the job. If it really needs completely redoing then so be it but, if a more moderate repair will solve all your problems, that is what you should opt for. If you eventually have to go legal, you need to show that you have been reasonable and not vindictive.
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Koiette

I am so sorry you and Glenn are having problems with your magnificant pond, it is such a shame when things go wrong, and anyone who has been in the possition of problems with a pond will understand.

Mr Mankey Sanke seems of hit the nail on the head with his suggestions. Giving the fibreglasser the chance to recover the sittuation and saying your intentions if he does not seems like a fair way to go, but if he does not comply with your wishes then you are still left with getting your pond repaired, if the case is the pond will need to be sorted with-in a 2 week time span then giving this guy 2 weeks isnt going to work because your costs are mounting. If the fibreglasdsing is so bad that even after another repair then maybe it is time to re-done as you will both be worried from now on anyway. I would ring this guy up and tell him what you are planning and then inform that a letter will follow stating what you have spoken about and from the telephone conversasion he his liable for any expenses.

Tommy 2 ponds had a similar problem with a leaking liner an dit took hima long time to set it sorted through the courts. So this has cost your dear so far so something needs to done quickly for your peace of minds. I wish all the best in getting this sorted asap.

I do feel we a Koi Keepers are to loyal to people and companies, they never get named so other could suffer, prehaps if we started being a bit more cut throat about things the services we are offered will improve
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

That is shit luck, and by the sounds of it you have been mugged off, I have put a few things right now for this so called coffee drinking legend, I have seen smoother artex on one of his jobs!!!!!
pm sent
keep your chin up girl and dont let the big man get to down about it.
Justin
Glenn
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Glenn »

Spot on Justin, you know who it is and he claims he is the best, the coffee drinker from Nottingham. This is the forth leak now. I have tried to sort the last leak 3 times now including last Saturday and this morning water coming through the wall again, the bloke is a complete and utter tosser,

Regards

Glenn
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Geoff9 »

Hi Koiette
Sorry your having problems,I used Mat Williams to fibreglass my pond 7 years ago and not had any problems,if you have to reglass the pond would it be possible to use the insulation board that they use instead of cleaning all the fibreglass off,I think that could be glued to the fibreglass then glassed over,but I'm not sure if it will work just an idea,I'm sure others will tell you if that's possible.

Regards Geoff
Koiette
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by Koiette »

Hi everyone

Thank you. first of all for the messages and emails we have had in support. MWAH!

The first problem we have is that we have not got a contract or receipt, however, thankfully, a lot was paid by cheque because at the time I was not happy with the way things went! I n law a cheque stands as a receipt.

Regard to the receipt: Asked and asked and asked for it - all emails ignored.

Contract: Be honest, how many of us have asked for a contract (even a bill of sale) when buying anything koi related.

With regard to getting the fibreglasser back, I am very liberal minded, but am lead to believe that he is now involved in an industry I do not wish to be associated with. Google "Daves young office" and have a field day, if you are over 18 ofcourse. One person even asks "how does he do it". Errr.......... just about everywhere with his glasses on and his pants round his knees! I am suprised his glasses don't steam up! LOL! Dirty lucky bugger! Sorry, it just repulses me!

A few years ago I defended/acted the BKKS in some legal issues, I may issue proceedings against him, just to give the Judge a very interesting case to listen to!

Being serious. I thought that once a pond is fibreglassed, surely that is it - do you expect it to leak or crack, develope pin holes a few years down the line? At the end of the day, he knew it was a HUGE pond, if it needed extra whatever, surely he should have realised this? We just trusted his "expertise". Stan the man fibreglassed the last pond, and that is still going strong some 15 years later.

Anyway, the bloody pond is leaking again...........

Koiette

xx
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

Ah now I no who you meen! Your not the only one that has had issues even a website was set up by one unhappy customer http://www.dave-arnold.info/

Maybe trading standards may help!

Matt Williams also did mine and I have heard nothing but positives from others.

Regards
Koiette
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by Koiette »

An update!

We decided to contact the fibreglasser. Should you get unsatisfactory service or products then you have to allow people to inspect/address your complaint. I will admit that we have not informed the fibreglasser that the fibreglass has pin holes and leaks, so I emailed him. He emailed back early morning and said he would call today.

And he did!

Due to commitments he will not be able to attend the pond for four or five weeks. He was also suprised that we had not contacted him before, to say that we were not happy (had he not ignored my emails asking for a receipt etc. we would have!).

He informed me that he did tell Glenn the returns may leak as Glenn used flexible pipe, but all the pin holes in the back wall are not right.

I honestly could not remember the finer points of the pond failure, so the fibreglasser said he will contact Glenn before Monday.

So, watch this space!

Koiette

xx
fisherman
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by fisherman »

Hi Annette
Don’t Forget I see your pond fibre glassed so if you need a witness in court let me know it also land him in court by not declaring it on his tax form
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Annette

I think maybe he had heard through the great grape vine that is Koi, that you had issues and whta you were thinking of doing, so to stop you in your track's has decided to be helpful, it does seem strange that he ignore's your request's for a receipt but all of a sudden he answers your call and turns up. I think you and Glenn are going to be so out of pocket over this it would be scary to try to calculate. Maybe a conversation with fibreglasser about some sort of refund for all the trouble you have been through, even if it is only for the next few weeks water bill.

The reason we prefer to have fibreglass is because we are meant to be able know it will not leak, it cost's enough, let's be honest. But it is the agrevation you go through when things dont go right that causes the stress and upset. I hope he is able to repair your pond properly and give you and Glenn some peace of mind. If not we both a man who can (house warming in April) and I am sure it wont cost anywhere near the price you paid, you could always ask his advice, he might be able to tell you where you stand.

I hope you get things sorted
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Hi Koiette sorry to hear about all this. You should be able to enjoy your pond not have it hanging around your neck like a mill stone. If you do not get this sorted then you should name and shame so others are not treated the same. Worst is, I bet he got first class treatment from you when he was working on it as you tend to spoil everybody. As kim says we know a man who can.....get him to look at it and perhaps we can persuade him back i nto the hobby :-)
Best of luck and keep us up to date
Koiette
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by Koiette »

An update!

Dave Arnold came here this morning and attended to the pond! He had been quick in calling, returning calls etc. He's a different man to the one we dealt with four years (ish) ago.

The leaks have been identified, one may be where Glenn drilled through, but the returns have been dealt with, and the other leaks will be dealt with.

Watch this space!

Koiette