Trich

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Dandj
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Trich

Post by Dandj »

Has anyone got a treatment for this really small very difficult to get rid of trich that is about this year please?? just seems to be immune to PP.
I have heard a rumour that Colombo Alparex will nuke it - any one had any experience using the stuff and what is in it?? I don't fancy sending for the amount I need unless it really will do the job as I will need 2500ml..........
ageinghippy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Re: Trich

Post by ageinghippy »

Hi Jane,

Must admit that I`ve never heard of the columbo stuff, so no advise on its use from me.

MY treatment choice would be for chloromide T, if pp does nothing, as Duncan recommends in his article on trich, have you read it?? www.koiquest.co.uk/Trichodina.htm

Hope you get it sorted

Chris (another one)
Dandj
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dandj »

Hi yes thanks, also got the book.
This strain has a bit of a reputation for being hard to get rid of.....even dealers are saying its getting hard to shift it, and clearly it is!
I have been trying to just let them live with a few but too many knocks and scrapes for my liking even though the numbers are really small, the trich are so tiny they are almost as hard to find on a scrape as costia and I am guessing they prefer the gills due to the lack of numbers on the body......
I may try a long CT bath on a couple and see if that sorts them before CT'ing the pond so soon after PP and go from there.
Thanks again
kath1111
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by kath1111 »

I had a bad year this year. Flukes and Trich in January, Costia in March and then in April a nasty fungus which really affected the fish. I lost a few of them despite salt baths and antibiotic injections. I used Alvarex (is this the same as your Alparex?)in April. It is a two dose course and it worked for my pond and no more fish died.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

i would try a strong PP dip 1 gm pp to every gallon for 2 minutes then treat the pond on the return of the last fish thats should get rid
of course make sure your pond is nice and clean first no build up of detritus anywhere that could habour trich

dunc