Flow coat question

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

melskt
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Flow coat question

Post by melskt »

Hi all, I'm after some advise about flocoat setting, I've fibreglassed by pond which went ok until the flow coat it's all seemed have set hard but I've got a some brush stokes that have gone light grey from black in water. Spoke to two suppliers one said if it's hard but discoloured it should be ok but check the water for styrene in a couple of weeks, other one said sand down aceton and re coat. I've wiped it all down with aceton and got some black on the cloth does this mean I need another coat? Finished pond has been kept undercover for three weeks before I added any water. Thanks
melskt
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: Flow coat question

Post by melskt »

Right I have some options

1. Do as suggested by dave Arnold heat it up clean it down fill it up and leave it suck it and see. Add some plants see what happens then send the water off for testing.

2. Rub it down and get dave to re coat it for me

Or

Use another product to seal the flow coat will still need to rub down but I have spoke to a couple of pond centres and they have suggested gold label aqua pond paint.

Has anyone else used it?
Glenn
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Glenn »

Hi, I wouldn't ask Dave Arnold anything. He fibreglassed my pond about 4 years ago and I have had to drain it down twice and repair leaks, pinholes everywhere,

Glenn
melskt
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by melskt »

Cheers, I've decided not going to suck and see as suggested by east coast fibreglass, going to rub it all down and try the gold label aqua pond resin paint and see how that goes. Don't going to try the top coat again for it to go wrong. Fingers crossed it works lol or I'll have a very big bog garden lol Will post some pics when I work out how.
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Hi mate what ever you do dont paint over flow coat it will peel off, dont care what you have been told this will happen!!!. The ligther area`s are from the difference in in the thickness it was applied, as you says its in the thick brush mark area`s. The wax has come to the top . I would say if its set hard you will be fine. Is it still hard when its under water? If so fill it and leave it. At the end of the day within a few weeks it will all be a lovely shade of green
melskt
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by melskt »

Cheers, yeah it's hard when wet and dry my only concern is I get a little black residue off small areas if rubbed with an acetone cloth. The aqua paint is a two pack resin that they quarantee it to stick as long as i prepair the surface im good at sanding dont like it but i lay resin floors for a living so used to prepartion.

Untitled by melskt, on Flickr

residue from rubbing with acetone

Untitled by melskt, on Flickr

worse bit

Found this info on aqua pond paint

tetraethylenepentamine and bisphenol a epichlorohydrin are active ingredients in aqua pond resin paint so looked it up for use with flocoat.

Normal gelcoat formulated for use with polyester resins and vinylester resins does not adhere to epoxy surfaces, though epoxy adheres very well if applied to polyester resin surfaces. "Flocoat" that is normally used to coat the interior of polyester fibreglass yachts is also compatible with epoxies.

So going to give it a go rather that than suck it and see or try another coat of flocoat that might fail.