koi foods

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

what food do you use ?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:15 pm

saki hikari multiseason
28%
saki hikari growth
8%
nobori
8%
medicarp
12%
evolution aqua
4%
yamato nishiki
4%
medikoi
No votes
kusuri
8%
nutrikoi
4%
something else
24%

Total votes: 25

carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: koi foods

Post by carlejo »

Geoff, why are you thinking of changing ?
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Geoff9 »

Hi Carl
The food seems ok.. just gone up over a tenner for 15kg,so if anyone came up with a better koi food I would give it a go,I did buy a 2Kg bag of Saki Hikari but there was an oil slick on the water so dumped that after a few feeds,I have tried the cheap Hikari(green stuff I think)the Koi didn't seem to like that so I may stay with this stuff as no one has yet given me a reason to try some other brand.

Regards Geoff
greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by greg »

Geoff,

Pardon me if i'm wrong but the main issue seems to be the price then there are options out there that will save you some cash but as with everything then it is a case of trail and error. Here are a few i can think of.

Yamato-Nishiki - Genuine Japanese koi food made by JPD that retails around the £45 mark for 10kg bags. I have found it in the odd place in 20kg sacks and this is about £88. I fed this back in 2009 mixed with Nobori (50/50) and the results were good. I only moved due to our "group buy". You do get a fair % of the pellets that sink but given there is a school of thought this is not a bad thing for some reasons then if you can live with it then a good "base" food.

Koyoshi Premium - This is Coastal Koi's own brand food. I only trialled a 3kg tub of the "All Season" last year but the koi liked it for the week it lasted. The price is competitive at about £90 for 15kg.

Takazumi - This is the same kind of money as the current food your using. A german / dutch food imported by Aquakoi. I know a hobbyist who feeds this exclusively and the koi look good on it. No cost saving here but maybe a better food for the money?? (i have never used it)

Some others....

Nobori - Around £75 for 10kg and this was the food i mixed in with Yamato in 2009 to good effect.

Medicarp - around £85 for 10kg - this is what i'm currently feeding very sparingly to get my koi abck on food this year. Koi seem to leap all over it at present. Only fed maybe 200gram since xmas but the interest level seems high.

Coppens - think you can buy this from Worthing Aquatics these days. The group buy price we got was about £30 - £35 for 15kg so bear this in mind when you get the retail price. Interestingly the "growth" pellet of your current brand used to be the "grower EF" of this manafacturer back in 2007 (ish) as i have actually cut the bags open and poured it into the buckets. I also think that the UK Nishikigoi own brand food is this make just re-bucketted (although not 100% sure so don't quote me).
Norseman
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Norseman »

Hi Carl,

I was part of the group purchase with Greg last year and found that the Coppens food was very good for the price. My fish took a while to get used to it, but now they wolf it down. I have seen some problems with body shape and loss of colour depth. Overall though it was a good food for last year. This year we are considering going up the quality range and buying a good japanese food, but we have to be careful which we choose as the price range is quite large.

Cheers

Simon
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Simon,

Welcome over here by the way :D
I have seen some problems with body shape and loss of colour depth
Yes that is one of the things i found with the Coppens foods.
Brek
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Brek »

I use yamato nishiki as my 'staple' its got good quality ingredients and works out at £2 a pound when bought in 10kg sacks, I then supplement with (this year) SH colour for april/may, SH growth for June/July, then supplement with medi carp aug/sept, Wheat germ for sept, then nowt except the odd handful of whatevers left till next march.
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Good morning Questers,

Not posted much in a while but still have a look at postings. Just wondering if any of you in clubs have made any bulk buys this year and, perhaps what's in flavour, brandwise?

Thanks,
TicToc
greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by greg »

TicToc,

Yes our group went Takazumi this year - after all of us trialled it the end of last season the result was we all wanted it for 2012 so that was the order. The koi club I'm a member of agreed a "club rate" for a bulk order and Takazumi were very good in the handling of it all.

We managed to secure prices across the whole range too so we could in effect pick and choose from all pellets available as long as we met the minimum order quantity.
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Greg,

Morning and many thanks, I'll shop around and buy some.

Again thanks,

TicToc
Koi Man Dave
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Koi Man Dave »

Medicarp or aqua master for me I have found the protein in aqua master is higher than some of the more expensive brands and had just as good growth rates from it.
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Geoff9 »

Hi All
I have tried Takazumi 50% mix with the stuff I have been using for over 6 years and I have one koi that spit the old stuff out and goes for the Takazumi,this is a smaller pellet so not too sure if it's the size or taste she prefers but I'm going to stick with this for this year.

Regards Geoff
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Geoff

What size pellets do you have, I remember reading once the 4mm is the best size pellet to use, even for the larger Koi.

As regards to food, last year I purchased food from Ebay with a 45% protien and claiming high growth, and I must admit the growth I have had has been really good. The only problem as such is that I had a lot of oil floating on the surface of water when feeding but it did soon cleared up and the pellets kept their shape nicely. Waste was slightly more but not excessive and water clarity was good. The food only cost £36 for 15kg and it came in 3 5kg bags so you only have to open it when you need it which kept it fresher, but saying that I didnt have much left by the end of the year. I had a couple of Koi that ended with secondary Hi, but we moved so and they only got it after we moved so not sure what caused it. I will definatly be giving it another go this year and see what happens but so far I am really happy with it.

One other thing, the oil I had was the same as Sakai High Growth, but cleaned up a lot quicker than Sakai did
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Geoff9 »

Hi Kim
They are 4mm pellets and I'm going to say with this food all year as the koi do love the stuff,I had the same oil slick like you when I tried Saki Hikari food,

Thats a good price for food if it doesn't upset your water,I did try some cheap stuff but the water went brownish after a month.

Regards Geoff