test kit?

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

sam51
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

test kit?

Post by sam51 »

hi all tested my tap water with a api nitrate test kit. followed the instructions,got a reading of
100ppm,probably higher,re tested the water with a tetra nitrate test kit. got a reading of 12.5 ppm.
i knew that a 100ppm was to high.so had a chat with veolia water,guy told me there latest readings
for my tap water is 43ppm. so phoned api,told them the situation,they sent out a new nitrate test kit.
still getting 100ppm.
so with api 2 test kits reading too high, and tetra reading too low, are these test kits a waste of time,
because i'm a bit confused,
Koi Man Dave
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: test kit?

Post by Koi Man Dave »

The uk legal limit is 50/Mgl this is also the standard for the EU also, bare in mind you could test once a week and you will no doubt get various readings providing its within the legal limit for human consumption there's not a lot you can do.
I know if you were to talk to your water company they will tell you the test kits we utilise are as a guide as they do not class them as accurate.

Having said this I tend to stick with the tetra test kit.