Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Sanke
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Filter help please

Post by Sanke »

Hi all
I have recently been comparing the clarity of the water between my fathers pond & my own, his is better ! They are both of similar size / stocking. They are both bottom drain fed into traditional multi bay (he has 1 I have 2 (one for the skimmer)) The only potentially significant difference is that he uses a venturi on his return. I have 1 return below surface & the other at surface level Both are approx 3000 g. Could the venturi help by aerating the water ?

Also I have been considering changing the filter media on a gradual basis. At present I have 1st bay empty for settlement 2nd brushes, 3rd & 4th jap mat, then feeds to two round bays with static biological media. I have been thinking about moving the whole set up along so that each bay has something in it then putting K1 into last bay. After the media has matured replacing each bay one by one with K1

Currently I have a smaller multi bay running of the skimmer. Would I be best to keep this seperate or combining it with the main filter ?

I know it is many questions but would appreciate any input
Thanks
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Filter help please

Post by Gazza »

Hi sanke,

Water is a funny old thing and one pond is never the same as another and even if you had to identical ponds next to each other they would be different. You can have crystal clear water but clean water does not necessary mean good water and the only way to find out is to test it and if everything comes out OK then the fish will be healthy and happy.

There could be many reasons to why you two ponds are different and it can be down to the water or water changes and even the environment and how much food one feed compared to the other and of course what filtration you are using and how good the mechanical part is.

You can of courses change your filtration around and K1 is a good media and works very well as either mechanical (static K1) or used with air bubbling away (fluidized). If you are going to change the system around try to do it at a time where you are not dependent on the filters and if you can do part at a time will be best with less effects to the system.
Sanke
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Sanke »

Hi Gazza
Thanks for reply. Been thinking about changing things for a while but decided this year the pond must be finished & all done

Shame kk website is no longer around but have found a lot f good info on here
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Sanke,

If you want to have a good read then click the KoiQuest banner at the top of the page and it will take you to Duncan's main site which is full of all the info you will probably ever need and then some :D

This is the link just in case:

http://www.koiquest.co.uk/