Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

haddenhamkoi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Eazy question

Post by haddenhamkoi »

Hi Guys,

I have been considering changing the way my filters are set up and wanted to know if its possible to connect my pod to a multibay. i.e. remove the vortex and replace with the pod.

I have looked around on the web and can't seem to find anyone that has done this, this makes me think it is not possible :?: need to have more draw on the outlet.

Closest i could find was an airlift connected to output pipe to return the water back to the pond.

Leigh
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Eazy question

Post by Gazza »

Hi Leigh,

Can you give us some more details on your set up and how its running now :?:

Is the pod already working on the system :?:
haddenhamkoi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by haddenhamkoi »

sure gazza,

I currently have a multibay + vortex. this is connected via 4" pipe to a bottom drain and the water is returned to the pond via uv by an aquamax pump.(standard gravity setup. also the the bays are converted to K1)

I then have an eazy pod connected (pump fed gravity return) to an over the wall type skimmer.

My plan is to extend the area that the multibay is in and incorporate the eazy pod. The main aim is to make it look nicer and more efficient. i also wish to fit an in wall/swimming pool type skimmer and fit that to the removed vortex on a separate loop.

Effectively i wish to replace the vortex on the front with the eazy pod for mechanical. (don't know if it makes any difference but i plan on using airlifts to return the water to pond.)

I will draw a couple of pictures tomorrow of what i plan on doing and post em up.

hope you guys can help
Koi Man Dave
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Koi Man Dave »

I wouldn't personally put an easy pod at the front end of a multibay you will probably find you will have to keep cleaning it out every few days.
I have seen one fitted at the end of a multibay as a final polisher and it worked well, bare in mind they are designed for ponds upto 1000 gallons or quarantine systems.
I don't know how big your pond is or the quantity of koi you have in there this will be key to how you set it up.
Please don't think I am saying they are no good as they are designed for the smaller pond and they do work just trying to cut down the time you will be out there flushing it.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Leigh,

Sorry i must of mist you post must of been the excitement of Christmas :roll:

I would say the same as Dave and not to put it before the multi-bay and if you are putting a skimmer in then why not put the pod on the skimmer line :idea:
Efficiencyman
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Efficiencyman »

Hi Liegh
I gravity 4" feed to my 30"Vortex, Then tee off to a Cloverleaf CL2 multibay then pump to low level end 1.
Also tee off to Easypod, then pump via U/V to another low level at end 2. This gives some floor movement towards :arrow: B/D ( pond is Heated ).
I also tee off to another pump feeding my Clarity CL3 foam Fractionator which also enters (my vege filter In summer) at the top, (oposite end to my skimmer).
I also tee off to another pump to feed a Waterco 24" reversed flow modified to static K1, the return also pushes surface flow :arrow: towards skimmer.
I run my skimmer (only when needed) on another separate pump to a 200 micron Sieve returned at top, oposite end. Most of my pumps are low wattage Messner eco (of various sizes) to give ideal flow rates for each filter. 8) The above gives me crystal clear water all year, :D the Vortex drops out the heavies and alot of poo quite efficiently, you don`t want that clogging your main filtration as it makes for too much work, too often. :cry: I think its better to keep things separated, I can usually mess about with one, while keeping the others operational. :o
I would like to try Air lift returns, please keep us posted as to successful specs. sizes, etc. as I have tried to find a practical way to modify my system,
so far with little success as to tube sizes, air flow volumes etc . :roll: