Kim R's new pond build

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Re: Kim R's new pond build

Post by kimr »

Hi again

As mentioned in an earlier post the pond fill was started on Boxing day as I did not want to ruin any of the great work Bob had done, by trying to fill the pond to soon, so giving it an extra 2 days for the silicone to go off, my son Robert got into the pond to remove the wood holding the window in place and remove the wood from the outside, Bob is quite right about the dog, I was petrified she would knock the glass in as she had jumped into the pond a couple of times through the window, so another good reason to make sure the window was totally safe. The fill took a lot longer than I had expected, in total 12 hours over 2 days holding a total of 1064 gallons which is more than we had hoped for :D Bob had really tried to get as much water in as he could, The pond was meant to be the proper pond while I was here, and a temporary pond when we did eventually move, well as you know the move has now got to happen a lot quicker than any of us had expected, so this will make a great holding pond when we do move while the real pond is being built.

When the pond and filters were full I then turned all the valves and it was running, a slight adjustment to one piece of pipework with alot more holes being drilled and it was running perfectly. There was tiny leak on a ball valve which Bob popped round yesterday to tighten and that now seems to of stopped. The whole system was PP'd and the K1 was PP'd and this morning when I went out there I could see the bottom of the pond, so all systems go the Koi could go in, the tempreture of the pond they were in was 7.9 so I found out what the tempreture of the new pond was and it 8.9, only 1 degree differant, which meant I could just transfer the koi without having to float them first, which made it easier for them I think. Helen's son Matthew had come over to help with the transfer, so I caught them and Matthew took them up and released them.

The way Bob has built the pond and made the cover over it means I am sheltered a bit when I am outside with them, but I can also see them from the living room wiindow. This is what I can see tonight through the living room window :D :D

So I am a very very lucky lady and very very grateful
Glenn
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Glenn »

Bob, you are the man, well done,

Regards

Glenn
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Gazza

Thank you, Bob has done a fantastic job and I will never be able to thank him enough for all he has done, I am so so lucky

Thank you for your comments about my babies I think they look great, so it is nice to hear it from others :D :D

Hi Glenn

I have to totally agree with you there, Bob is a true star and deserves a medal
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Nice Job that Bob, and good to see another way to do things, if people dont try nothing will change.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Thanks for all your comments about the pond build, it's certainly had me thinking a bit. I'm no chippy, but it was fun making up the framework.

The liner window worked very well, cant think that I've seen it done like that before, but I may be wrong.

Just hope Kim's house sale falls through, dont want to demolish it all too soon!

I need to bring 3 of my Koi over soon, see how they get on in there. Will leave it a week or so, see how these settle down.
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kayoss »

Great job Bob - really shows what can be done for not too many £££s if you give it a bit of thought before jumping in with both feet!

Koi are looking very well Kim and I'm sure they'll settle in their new home soon.

Cheers

Bob
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Looking really good Kim you have some nice Koi in there Julie said love the Chagoi no surprise there :lol:
Well done to Bob he has done a cracking Job especially with the window in the liner not see that before :D
Koi Man Dave
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Koi Man Dave »

A good job there well done fish look great. :D shame about the house being sold tell your friend to clear off Kim.
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Lee, the Chagoi was bought from Infiltration, she was one I was really proud of, she is only 3 years old so will see how she does.

I have tested for Nitrite and Amonia today and they are both at 0.1, I am pretty pleased with that, so will keep a good eye on it
Koi Man Dave
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Koi Man Dave »

How's things going Kim water parameters etc still looking good I hope.
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi All

Just a quick update, the house sale is going ahead and we will be out by the end of July, all but 2 of the Koi have been transfered back up to Leigh to stay with a friend until things are sorted. The rest of the Koi and fish will be following eventually. I can not bare the thought of having to undo all the hard work Bob put in, but at least I can take it with me and rebuild it when we finally get a house, its a good job Bob took lots of photos because I dont think he will travel 300 miles to put it back together again.