Kim R's new pond build

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kim R's new pond build

Post by Bob Hart »

Lots to do yet though
Mattybkic
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Mattybkic »

Good work there Bob. By the way the Sanke (Cuttlebrook) you helped me with has settled in well :)

Kim I'll try and pop up one evening next week. Did PM you, Pm me back your contacts :wink:

Speak soon

Matthew
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Yesterday was base laying day, I had friends come down from Leigh and Tony was helping Bob with the concrete, and also my son Robert helped with carrying and doing some mixing of the concrete. The first thing that was done was a piece of new pond liner was used to cover the ground.
Then Bob cut up some grid metal and placed it around the sides for extra supports
Concrete then poured in
Bob had originally said he would do a 2 inch deep base but changed it to 3 inches
Bob mixing the concrete
Just making sure Tony is doing it right :D
Using the window opening to finsih the last bit
Nice neat job :D
Cleaning up.
Mattybkic
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Mattybkic »

Getting closer :wink:

Matthew
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Fibreglassing next Saturday!

Then just the window glass to fit and the filters to finalise
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Hi Bob looking really good wont be long now,your a top fella helping Kim out :D
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Not had a good couple of week's, first had a really bad slip which ended up with me laid up for a week and in a lot of pain, then the weather was really against us, luckily Bob and Tony made a fantastic covering for the pond, all it has meant is for my son Joseph to into the pond and tip any water off of the roof that has collected. The temps have dropped by quite a lot and it has been decided that it would be best to line the pond instead of fibreglass, as it is too cold for it to off, I had bought a 25 square foot liner for the pool that I was meant to be having had the garden been wide enough, so not needing it for that, Bob has decided to fit it at the weekend, he isn't looking forward to standing in the pond with only socks on though as it is so so cold, I told him to get a pair of ugg boots :lol: :lol: So in theory it shouldn't be too long before it can be up and running.

You are right Lee, Bob is an absolute diamond, I don't know what I would do without him, and this weekend he is bringing over his jet wash so my front garden can be jetted down to make it a bit safer hopefully for me. I will never be able to thank him for everything he has done
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Hope you feel better soon Kim
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

So what about the window now? how are your going to seal it?, I have seen it done with a flange, looked ugly though. Or are you now doing away with it. Why not just add some heat to the pond and glass it?
Justin
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

The liner will be fitted into the pond and where the window is the liner will be smeared with silicone sealer. The piece of wood cut out for the window will be fitted on the inside of the liner where the window is and screws passed through this piece of wood and screwed into other pieces of wood on the outside.

Once the silicone has dried, the liner will be cut away from the outside and then piece of wood will be removed. This should produce a nice frame made from the liner, which the window glass will be fitted to. The weight of the water will hold it into place.

Never done a pond like this before, so something new for me as well!!!
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

So silicone will act as a gaskit, be interested to hear how this goes and fingers crossed no leaks. As You say Bob it always pays to try something different, at the end of the day its not life and death only water. I would suggest warming liner with hair dryer, before adding mastic, should make it a little easier to work with and also help the mastic along a bit. I am sure I dont need to tell you to warm mastic in a bucket of warm water first.
Are You going to use a membrane to outside stud work before cladding? May just extend the life of the internal ply, as I should think there will be some sweating. Interesting little build this one.
Justin
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Yes Justin, an interesting way to create the frame. The silicone will stick the liner to the wooden window frame and create the waterproofing, then the glass will be stuck to this. What 'glue' are you using at the moment Justin?

Bit of a shock today though, Kim said the rented house she is staying in has been sold this week. So I may be dismantalling the pond a few weeks after I get it running.

Fitted some of the filters today and sorted out a lot of items out for next week. Hope to fit the liner next week and perhaps do a bit more on the filters. Then the next week, fit the window glass and get the filters running. Thats the rough plan anyway.
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Bit of a shock today though, Kim said the rented house she is staying in has been sold this week. So I may be dismantalling the pond a few weeks after I get it running.

Bummer I thought Kim was settled there really sorry to hear this :(
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Sold :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sorry to hear this news Kim hope you get something sorted.
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Thats not good, and must be the only house in kent to of sold for the last 3 years :lol:
Glue I always use Tangit, and mastic it has to be Polyflex. I have used others and I think they are cr4p compared to Polyflex. I am sure they all do the same job , but the finish I can create with Polyflex is second to none.
I have a build next year that will need a lorry load of the stuff,it will have five 2m x 2m windows :shock: ,with stone mullian post between, going to look likes something you will see at the London Aquarium
Justin