What is the optimal interval between feeds

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Brockp
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

What is the optimal interval between feeds

Post by Brockp »

Hi Guys;

I have posted a similar question on another forum but I think I may aget a reasoned answer here based on facts about koi digestive physiology not just opinions.

If we assume we know how much food we want to give in 24 hours, our filters are mature and can cope and it is summer and the water temperature is 25 deg and we have a method of feeding at any interval, how often should we feed our fish form optimal absorption?

We know koi have no stomachs as such and therefore one meal a day is not optimal. The phrase little and often is frequently used but how often is often?

My koi are happy to be fed at night, should we feed during the night?
I guess it all comes down to what the transit time is for the koi gut but I can’t find an anser so i thought I would ask the experts.

Peter
tomc
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Re: What is the optimal interval between feeds

Post by tomc »

Hm, not sure I can help on the science side, but for information:

I feed heavily in the early morning and late evenings. Effectively a double to triple feed. I would spread these out a little further but the autofeeder is load and I try to be considerate to the neighbours!

During the day, I feed every 2 hours, but don't feed between 11AM and 3PM. The basis for this is that in summer the koi tend to stop surface swimming and retrench to the lower levels as the sun is on the pond.

Tom
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Peter,

Always a good one and many differing ideas and also tends on peoples work as some like to feed their fish by hand.

OK here is what i do i feed from just 07.00hrs till 21.30 with the auto feeder and i do tend to put a bit in by hand as well :D
Brockp
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Brockp »

Hi Gazza

How frequently is your auto feed dropping food in the pond, that is the nub of myquestion?

Having tried various gaps between feeds I have found 2-3 hour feeds seem to be right for mine.

They get treats by hand and always come for those as well.

Peter