small tosai has sore on side

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

small tosai has sore on side

Post by carlejo »

I've got Duncans book and want to have a little look at this koi and make sure it's ok, but where's the best place to buy treatments now ?
thanks
Carl
boogatee
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Re: small tosai has sore on side

Post by boogatee »

From Dunc ... till his stock is finished
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

Thanks, I've pm'd him but I don't really want to hassle him to be honest.

If he doesn't reply because he's too busy, etc, where's the next best place to get it from ?
cheers
Carl
boogatee
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by boogatee »

depends, what exactly you are looking for?
Pikey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Pikey »

wot u after ? im just down the road from you and got most of wot dunc sell's,,sure i can sort you some out if you stuck..... :)
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

Cheers Pikey, that's very kind of you but I've just come home and ordered some from tinternet... should be here in a day or two

thankyou for the offer though :D
cheers
Carl
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

I've had some bits turn up today to treat this sore/ulcer and tonight in work I've also been swotting up with Duncans book.

I've got anaesthetic, meucurocrome and orahesive powder, which was delivered today

The next stage after knocking the koi out would be from what I've read(not sure if I've got it right) to clean the ulcer/sore area..... do you have to apply H2O2 to clean the wound ??

After the wound has been cleaned then apply meucurocrome and orahesive powder, is that it or does a sealer need to be applied on top of orahesive powder ?

Can I get sealer and H2O2 at chemist tomorrow ?

Thanks guys, I need some answer pretty quick as I need to treat this little fella tomorrow or sunday at worst
tomc
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by tomc »

Carl

Do not use H2O2 on the koi. You need to be very precise in the application and given you are asking questions you haven't done this before so it'll most probably go wrong It'll burn and kill surround surround scales. It's a different story if a head or gill plate injury or if there's a large ulcer.

A picture would tell a much better picture. Someone recently described a koi as have a "small injury" which turned out to be about 50 raised scales!

Anyway, as a first pass, I would simply:
1/ Take a photo
2/ Squeeze out any puss in the scales with finger pressure
3/ Dab on meurochrome onto the infected area using cotton bud or similar. Don't go mad, and don't spread it over good scales.
4/ Return koi to pond
5/ Post photos

Then you can get some more advice on potentially locking in the wound but for now you will probably do more damage than good by rushing in.

Tom