Lacron

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Lacron

Post by TicToc »

Good afternoon All,

I'm not one for posting often but would appreciate a little advice from the Group with regard to my Lacron water polisher. Last year it really did recover the small fines, all worked like clockwork, tickety boo.

I switched off during the winter (Skintflint that I am) and back on during March. Everything is plumbed in and works fine although it doesn't seem to be collecting/filtering as well as it has in previous years. Call me old fashioned but my logical assumption is (I think) to replace the sand that has been in there for at least seven years. Lo and behold apparently everyone uses AFM media nowadays, so I'm told.....hasn't modern day technology moved on quickly.

The supplier I have found is selling AFM in 25kg bags at £37.73 + vat, delivery. Apparaently I need TWO such bags :shock: As I require both Grade 1 and 2 media to be replaced in the big bulbous fibreglass fish bowl. The Lacron is a mid range model and I imagine I will not need this amount of media. :idea: I could be wrong......

Can anyone of you budding, super-intelligent Questers with your fingers quivering on the pulse, possiby shed some light on whether AFM is the preferred media nowadays? Comment on the amount to purchase - I mean I wouldn't want the Missus to say the fish would look good if I could see them through the mountain of AFM media you bought?

Lastly; Are both Grades (if purchased) really required?

Thought gratfully appreicated.
Many thanks,

TicToc
Pikey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Re: Lacron

Post by Pikey »

hi,,
ive got a lacron 30" with 2 bags of grog (50kgs) in the bttm to cover the spiders and 4 bags of grade 1 afm (100kgs) you dont need the 2 grades of afm,just the grog in the bttm as a base then the grade 1...the grade one will take out down to 5 microns,i dont think theres nowt else on the market that will do that !
afm is miles ahead of sand in many ways and outlasts it by a mile as well...
7 yrs is a long time for sand ! sounds like it has had its day and is tracking thats why your not getting ur clarity no more..i also back flush my lacron every other day as well for a good 2-3mins....

this is where i got mine from - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/swimming-pool ... 5d2ecc4ecf its not listed as afm,,but it is :wink:

hope this helps...
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Pikey,

Good afternoon and many thanks for the sound advice. Shall surf the net tonight. :wink:

One last question Pikey, given that link was excellent :idea: ..... can I have a link for your grog supplier :?:

Chin, chin,

Tickers
Pikey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Pikey »

hi m8,,
i carnt remember exactly where i got mine from but search in ebay-theres plenty on there or try the link below and find the cheapest ! the postage is a sting due to the weight ! or see if your local fish outlet has any.....
they were 15kg bags i had not 25kg ! so 30kgs in my lacron 30",,what size lacron you got ?

http://www.absolute-koi.com/subcat309.html
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

The lacron is slightly smaller but I can't be specific off the top of my head. Must check.... Anyhow :shock: I ordered 2 bags as per the grade suggested via the link you recommended. All in, it was the same price as just the one bag if I had ordered elsewhere. Your a damn good egg!

The chap Garry, noticed the order I submitted via the web and called me. Apparently, he thought the request for 2 x Grade 1 bags was unusual, no one buys 2 x Grade 1. As it turns out he has a pond and keeps Koi. Really helpful guy and suggested I use Grade 3 at bottom and Grade 1 at the top of the filter. It works for him, tried and tested over the last couple of years, even has links on the website to demonstrate. I digress, I could dribble on for hours on this subject but really nice guy, helpful.

:idea: I must be having a bloonde moment! You only asked the size of the Lacron. I don't know. Shall revert when I do probably because I have ordered too much.

Onwards and upwards,

Tickers
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Pikey - Its 18 inches....
Glenn
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Glenn »

What about the sand filter! Whoops, sorry :D :D :D
Pikey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Pikey »

18"eh you only got a tidler then :P :P :P
glad u got the afm sorted,i know a few people who use grog or the grade 3,both work fine..
best of luck cleaning out all ya old manky sand tho :lol: .....
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Thanks for the sympathy Pikey. The AFM guy has provided Grade 1 & 3. A really helpful guy, many thanks.

Tickers
Pikey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Pikey »

good to hear,let us know when you get it all sorted :)