Streamflow ponds???

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Re: Streamflow ponds???

Post by eds »

Bob Hart wrote:
greg wrote:Bob,

The 30,000lph Lifetech Pipe pump "realistically" delivers 5600gph over a shower (I know i measured it) this is using 4" spraybar and only 1 x 90deg bend. So you should be able to feed the chamber using two 4" side drains.
Sounds good Greg

Need to put the pump 'somewhere' where these couple of 4" side drains can feed. Will probably build a tank to put the pump in off to one side of the pond.

I'm sure some solids will still need to be removed, so I'll put a skimmer at the far end and bring this water into a static K1 chamber and then the output can go over the shower probably.
Have you seen the sieves isle of ely koi have designed for the pipe pumps? They take 2 4" inlet feeds.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Hi Ed,

Yes I've seen them and they look good. Maybe a bit more than I want to pay though. As I can make 'anything' out of fibreglass I can make a water tank easily to hold the inlet from 2 x 4" inlets, which would house the pump. It may be easier for me to make up this tank and then use a 2-foot static K1 vortex from the skimmer line to remove solids, again I can make this up myself.
tomc
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by tomc »

Hi Ed

I'm a bit confused by the diagrams.

Most streamflows I have seen are taking their water inputs to the shower from side drains at the opposite end of the pond, then pumping over the shower (in most cases via dry pumps but the revision to a wet chamber looks much better with the pump efficiency of a lifetech etc) and then the shower returns at the shallow end.

Your design seems to be pulling water from the shallow end and the returning at the bottom of the deep-end?

I may be completely mis-interpretating the diagram!

Tom
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

No worries Bob, just wasn't sure if you'd seen them.

Tom, the plan was to take water from the surface at the shallow end and return the water to the bottom of the shallow end. Water would then flow down along the bottom of the pond towards the deep end waste pipes, rise up the wall at the deep end and finally flow along the surface back towards the skimmer.

The pipes in the bottom of the deep end are the air uplift pipes to remove the waste automatically several times a day.
tomc
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by tomc »

Doh, I see it now. I was extending the shower's return from the shallow end floor to the far end - I didn't see the little break.
Thanks.

Tom
Al
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Al »

Hi Bob,

My new build is not far off being completed and I know it will work just fine :lol: because the old pond still runs like a dream 6 years on, time flys :roll:

As for the benching of the base, 1/2" per foot will do just fine. Now get on with building one lol :D
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

I need a new house first Al !!!
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Ha using that old excuse then Bob lol :D