Sadly shes in the freezer now :(

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

MikeWh
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Sadly shes in the freezer now :(

Post by MikeWh »

Hi...I'm still watching my carp acting odd, I was just wondering if it is possible for the over production of mucus to actually stick the outer part of the gill covers to the fishes body.?? Sorry if this seems a really stupid question, but it is the only thing that I can see on this fish.
Basically it is always hanging round the surface with tail out of the water, & although it's mouth movment is fairly rapid compaired to how the koi breath, on the koi you can see the outer gill plates lifting as water is forced through, But not so on this carp.
I was advised by koi dealer that it's probably still alive due to the amount of air going into the pond because it has hung around like this for weeks. He also said that it may not recover from a salt bath at this stage.
I have some gill wash to try if it makes it to the comming weekend, but thats about all.
Does anyone recognise these symtoms, because I can't find anything that relates to it?
Mike
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Gills don't seem to be opening??

Post by Gazza »

Hi Mike,

When you say they said it may not make it through a salt bath at this stage is the fish in or been in a bad way then and have you done any scrapes :?:

Salt baths are a great way to get the gills flushed out and has the fish got particular large flaps on the gills so perhaps you cant see them moving :?:
MikeWh
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by MikeWh »

Hi Gazza, scrapes were done when it first started struggling & nothing at the time found..
I'll try to film it & I'll see if I can fatham out how to put it on you tube...Probably be tomorrow cos it's chucking it down here :(
My dealer had not seen it & he was going by my discription.
To look at the fish seems fine, but it's not eaten for 2-3 weeks & is just hanging just below the water surface nearly all the time.
Can I just ask is there a reason for salt bathing to clear gills, what I mean is there symtoms that would be caused by gills that you would salt bath for?
Mike
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Mike,

There can be a few reasons for the salt bath as they can have connected gills and when you give them a slat bath it can be amazing how much stuff gets "blown out" :shock: so it gets rid of the much and helps the fish breath easier.
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Hi I would agree with Gazza a salt bath with heavy oxygenation will help to clear the gills is it possible you could have missed a parasite like Costia ? as these can be hard to find and could cause the symptoms you describe.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi

i doubt mucus would stick the cover down this sounds more lmore of a mechanical problem you maybe need to read this thread
http://www.koiquest.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 7&start=30

the gills opne with a mechnical trigger and from water pressure being exerted on the cover the edges of the cover the fine membrane need to be stuck down in order for the fish to acheive this order of events

dunc
MikeWh
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

It's been like this for a month now..ABs??

Post by MikeWh »

Hi...Right, still trying to mend this carp, but I think nature will have to run it's course with it.
I had it bowled last night for the 1st time in a fortnight to give it a gill wash for what it's worth.
I still think it's slightly bloated on the under belly & & there are a few red patches in that area.
What ever it is it's taking a very long time to kill it if it's going too.
The red areas are not individually raised or what you would call raised scales.
I think from my fishing days it looks somewhere between 12 15lb & I've had it fom a tiddler so obviously don't want to loose it.
I'm not sure weather or not to try ABs at this stage or maybe get a second opinion before trying.
Any more thoughts on this would be welcome???
I can see why many chuck the towel in :( Mike
boogatee
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Re: It's been like this for a month now..ABs??

Post by boogatee »

Hi Mike, sorry to see you're still struggling with this koi, any chance of a picture of all the affected areas/symptoms?

I'm not really good at trying to figure things out without seeing things.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

mike

is there any way you could heat this fish up to say around 28c ? and add salt i doubt an anti will do anything because this sound like its developed into aeromonas infection now

dunc
MikeWh
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by MikeWh »

Hi & sorry for the delay in getting to your questions...
Duncan, I can't heat to 28 without doing it to the whole pond which is at 21 at the moment. I also have no qt.. (Quick edit)--I can heat the whole pond if needed because it's only a two min job putting the covers back on....What do you think??
I also take on board what your saying with regards using Abs but it's the last shot before I put it to sleep.

Boogatee- It's just a common carp mate not a koi. I have got some Abs ariving on Thursday & if i can weigh it & inject it quick enough I'll take a few piccys..

Thanks for trying guy's
Mike :wink:
MikeWh
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by MikeWh »

Well I did the right thing I think :( These are pictures after death, I just was not prepared to let this go on any longer...It was bloated a bit yesterday, but today it was fit to burst underneath....obviously well p1ssed off as I had it from a baby, but such is this hobby :( I always wondered how big it had got but did not really want to find out this way...Anyway 4years old 70cm & 17lbs in wieght & in the freezer---bugger :(
Mike
Attachments
IMG_7008.JPG
IMG_7008.JPG (41.94 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
IMG_7007.JPG
IMG_7007.JPG (66.16 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
IMG_7006.JPG
IMG_7006.JPG (60.48 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
IMG_7005.JPG
IMG_7005.JPG (65.59 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
IMG_7004.JPG
IMG_7004.JPG (57.56 KiB) Viewed 1839 times