On going problem

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

steve t
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

On going problem

Post by steve t »

Hi

Last year I had to condence my koi into one pond (3000 gallons) which I kept at 10 degrees throgh the winter months, in this pond I kept 16 koi from 16"-30" I know it seems a bit over crowded, but I wanted to keep my koi with me while my build went ahead. Last year while all the koi were in the pond 2 of the koi seemed to have one dead scale on closer inspection the scale was very rough to touch so I decided to pull it out and treat with Myrocrome then seal. After about 2 weeks I took another closer look at these 2 koi and the one dead scale that I pulled out had now turned into 4-5 dead scales, so I treated both koi the same way. This now seems to be healing slowly but is definatley healing up.
Once my new pond was completed (end of April) the koi and the water from the 3K pond were transfered to my new 6K pond, along with the filters, and the 2 koi that had dead scales seem to be a lot better and the wound healing up nicely.
My problem is, this week on Monday my shiro had the same symptoms "one dead scale" which I pulled out on monday night, tonight I have looked at the koi and it now looks like there are 5-6 dead scales in the same area. My temprature is 18 degrees.

Have checked the water quality (nitrite, ph, Ammonia) and all seems OK, I do however seem to have a tinge of green water there is also a bit of froth in the corners of the pond, when I throw in a handfull of food this soon disapears

What would you recommend I treat this koi with, and how do i stop this problem re-accuring

Steve
Russ Little Pond
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Re: On going problem

Post by Russ Little Pond »

"treat with Myrocrome then seal"
Is this all the products you used to treat the area, did you use hydrogen peroxide at all ?
Has your Myrocrome gone off, not Myrocrome anymore ? (if that can happen ?).
Did you check scales around the one pulled for roughness ?
Have you scraped and scoped ?
steve t
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by steve t »

Hi

No I didnt use hydrogen peroxide I used the Kusuri cleaner first, did scrape after scrape and found nothing, the only scales I pulled out were the rough ones once these had been pulled out I then treated.

Steve
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

steve

i was doing a google on Myrocrome as i had no idea what it was and thought it was soemthing new, and i can across your old post about this fish

now if i can be honest with you from the photo you supplied as have one dead scale there were at least another five that were dead or dying so mercurochrome cannot revive dead stuff these were always going to be there when the stuff vanished from view

my point is if this new fish looks like that i would be carfell if you are saying just one dead scale mate
i mean no disrespect i'll get the link up here tiz http://www.koiquest.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 85&start=0

you did a good job but never pulled enough scales mate

dunc
steve t
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by steve t »

Duncan

Spelling has never been my forte, spell it as it sounds I amfraid.

What Would you suggest I use once I pull the dead scales ?

Also why dose this keep coming back, the first koi it happened to was the Parachina, then a showa, and now a shiro, I would like to nip this in the bud now, not sure where to start looking for the problem.

Steve
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi steve

i was not taking the michael i thought you had found something i had not heard of, dont worry spelling is not my strong point either mate

The trick is in the preparation if you dont prepare it correctly it will always turn south on you and you have to remember ki live in a very hostile environment so sometimes it will be an uphill battle even when you get it right , but the one scale you removed out of that lot was never going to work and this was always going to smack you one back and if the others were like this then im guessing one scale pulled was not going to work with these

make sure its clean and there is no more dead or part decaying stuff including scales left ive said it many times you cant cure whats already dead it will juts go on to reinfect

dunc
steve t
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by steve t »

Hi

Thanks Duncan for the info

Would I be better cleaning the area with h/p then using a tropical treatment instead of mercurochrome.

Steve
boogatee
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by boogatee »

If you use hp (H2O2) it will kill any scale that it touches..... so be very careful.

I would remove any damaged/dry scales and then apply Mercurochrome