Streamflow ponds???

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Re: Streamflow ponds???

Post by eds »

Here are the plans for my pond when I was going to do a streamflow design.

Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Nice design Ed, for Me and from what I have seen I would change the shower return to using the shower in a more conventional way, sited on the end pond wall and have the water return via the wier of the shower. The wall would need to be buit up and have lower side wall feeds to your pump chamber. The pipe from the design at that lowest level return pipe, from what I have experienced may of caused problems with forever gurgleing bubbles as the water returned, and with a massive amount of water over shower You may of even had a little water back up into lower section of shower.
Justin
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi Ed

thanks for that i did this in my garage around 11 years ago back then we called them a rill water went in one end and out the other its was the full lengh of the garage around 2'x2'

its gone now to make way for my car

what were the dimensions going to be?

dunc
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

The Nippon boys posted some drawings a long while back, I have copies which they allowed me to take, but I'd need their permission to print them here. A little different from Ed's and it was their design for their 2000 gallon growing on pond

Justin - thanks for the offer, I will be in touch about the work you've already done on streamflow ponds. Need to understand it practically and want to fit in one of those lifecycle(???) pumps

Not looking for a huge pond, just circa 4000 gallons
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Thorny wrote:Nice design Ed, for Me and from what I have seen I would change the shower return to using the shower in a more conventional way, sited on the end pond wall and have the water return via the wier of the shower. The wall would need to be buit up and have lower side wall feeds to your pump chamber. The pipe from the design at that lowest level return pipe, from what I have experienced may of caused problems with forever gurgleing bubbles as the water returned, and with a massive amount of water over shower You may of even had a little water back up into lower section of shower.
Justin
The shower return was needed that way to keep the showers inside while the pond is outside - to keep the heat in from the open showers. Also I was trying to give enough water flow without needing an extra pump like Stuart had on his to pump water along the bottom.

To stop gurgling the bottom shower tray will be set up so that water will half fill it so that bubbles can come out of the water before it goes down the pipe. I know other have simulated this by adding ball valves to pipe returns to create a back up in the shower and stop the bubbles. I'm also expecting the water to back up by as much as a couple of inches (or more) to create the flow I'll need to move the water around.
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Duncan wrote:hi Ed

thanks for that i did this in my garage around 11 years ago back then we called them a rill water went in one end and out the other its was the full lengh of the garage around 2'x2'

its gone now to make way for my car

what were the dimensions going to be?

dunc
The pond's still happening, just not as a streamflow. It'll be 4.5m long by a little over 3m wide and 2m deep.

The new design will be box-weld liner, sinlge 4" bottom drain and converted skimmer gravity feeding into a sieve then pumped over the shower and a 4" return to the pond to set up a circular current in the pond.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

I've heard the slope is crucial to this type of pond, is this correct? What sort of drop in slope per foot/10-feet/15-feet etc, any thoughts anyone

I will use a shower and weir exit straight back into the pond

I'll also probably line the pond with celetex, so be interesting to create the drains with this.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Bob,

The slope is important as all the waste is to go to the drains but as long as you have a fair slope then with the movement from the shower and fish i think it will soon make its way down the drains.

Are you going to build the pond with a chamber at the back so you can use the pipe pump over the shower so its all incorporated :?:

I take it your going to actually make your own drains could this have like a large trough across the back with drains in there :idea:
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi guys

i need to speak to mikey im sure he had a design where he had air pumps and stones to lift the water

an oportunity has arose where i could well be building a new pond and i was thinking of laminar flow settlement if i can get permission to do it from the inventor

i was looking at the depth Ed with that size i gotta feeling there would be zones that flow faster than others or vicky verky unless you did some real serious pumping

dunc
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Bob I've seen a design in the states with very fast water flow that had a flat bottom so wouldn't say the degree of slope is crucial.

Duncan my design had 5,500gph going over the shower split between 4 outlets to generate the flow. The flow would vary within the pond obviously but as long as i got a decent current flowing along the bottom to sweep debris to the air uplifts i would have been happy.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Ed, thats a serious amount of water

but i have to confess im struggling to see how this system actually works, the way it looks to me is the output from the showers get put back in at the deep end and the water is extracted from the shallow end over a wier?

i suspect the devil is in the detail and iv'e totally missed it :(

dunc
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Gazza,

Yes I will be using a pipe pump over the shower, just have to work out how to feed the water to it! Needs to be midwater feeds and enough of them to ensure the pipe pump doesnt run dry
greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by greg »

Bob,

The 30,000lph Lifetech Pipe pump "realistically" delivers 5600gph over a shower (I know i measured it) this is using 4" spraybar and only 1 x 90deg bend. So you should be able to feed the chamber using two 4" side drains.
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Duncan wrote:Ed, thats a serious amount of water

but i have to confess im struggling to see how this system actually works, the way it looks to me is the output from the showers get put back in at the deep end and the water is extracted from the shallow end over a wier?

i suspect the devil is in the detail and iv'e totally missed it :(

dunc
My plan was to take all the water in through a custom made sieve with a 12" wide channel at the surface of the shallow end. All the water would then be returned through 4 returns at the bottom of the shallow end. The idea was the current would flow along the bottom of the pond towards the deep end with the gutters for the air uplift, vertically up at the deep end, along the surface back to the shallow end and the surface skimmer. We did have a bit of a debate whether it would work as intended or whether i might need small amounts of air to create an upwards current at the deep end or another pump sucking water out near the bottom of the deep end to help create the flow.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

greg wrote:Bob,

The 30,000lph Lifetech Pipe pump "realistically" delivers 5600gph over a shower (I know i measured it) this is using 4" spraybar and only 1 x 90deg bend. So you should be able to feed the chamber using two 4" side drains.
Sounds good Greg

Need to put the pump 'somewhere' where these couple of 4" side drains can feed. Will probably build a tank to put the pump in off to one side of the pond.

I'm sure some solids will still need to be removed, so I'll put a skimmer at the far end and bring this water into a static K1 chamber and then the output can go over the shower probably.