Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

mike1984
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Filter, Media and Air questions

Post by mike1984 »

Hi everyone,

Having just registered this is my first post on the forum :D .

I am reaching the final stages of my 2500 gallon pond build and I have a few questions with regards to the filter and the upgrading of the media.

A 4 inch aerated drain is connected to a kockney koi KF5000V fiberglass filter which has a small vortex followed then by 4 multi bays, the first having filter brushes, second Japanese matting, third foam and flocor and fourth full of flocor.

From what I have read so far I plan on moving the brushes into the vortex, having Japanese matting in the 1st and 2nd bays and then either K1 or Alphagrog in the 3rd and 4th bays? This is were my question comes in, if i have K1 in a multi bay is it best for it to be static or will i need to drop in an air ring or airstone? Is there any significant advantage of having K1 instead of Alphagrog? How would the more experienced keepers on this forum advise i utilise the bays of my filter?

Currently I do not have an air pump but I am considering purchasing one as i read about this K1 media, I also have a surface skimmer which will feed a waterfall, but should the aerated drain need to use air from a blower or will the force of the water pull an adequate amount of air along the line as it is unconnected above the water level?

Thanks in advance for any help! :mrgreen:
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Filter, Media and Air questions

Post by Gazza »

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Koi Quest :D

Yes you can upgrade your filter and K1 is a great media and people do all sorts of different things and its best to just have a go and see what works best for your system but don't change to much in one go. The vortex on these units are to small to work correctly so many do put bushes in the vortex and then put K1 in the next chamber. K1 works well aerated so an air pump will be needed and you can make an air ring out of speed fit pipe very easy and they work a treat.

One thing to remember is that you need to make sure the K1 can not move to the next chamber or down the waste or drain as this stuff can get everywhere so some filter grid to hold it all in place may be needed :idea:
mike1984
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by mike1984 »

Thanks Gazza,

I should be in a position to fill the pond next weekend, I will purchase some K1, will a 40lpm air blower be sufficient or should i buy a larger one to feed both a filter bay and the bottom drain?

So in order from vortex my set up will be.....
1. Brushes (In vortex),
2. Jap Matting
3. Jap Matting
4. K1 with air ring
5. More K1/Alphagrog?

I will have a play around next weekend I should be able to post some pictures up too, currently my G4 is drying and I also have my waterfall to install when it arrives.
sam51
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by sam51 »

hi,from past experiance you filter is way too small for a 2500 gallon koi pond,i would kook for somthing better before its too late.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi,

Well noticed sam and one i missed :oops: as this filter will defiantly struggle with a pond this size especially if this is the only filter you are going to use.
mike1984
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by mike1984 »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply, I totally listed the wrong filter on my new build i do infact have a kockney Koi kf10000v not a 5000 as previously stated I must have been in a trance whilst writing my original post!I will purchase two 50 litre bags of K1 to fill two bays, I now plan to have one static and one fluidised as that seems to be a successfull set up for many Koi keepers.

So...
Vortex = Brushes
Bay 1 = Jap Matting
Bay 2 = Jap Matting / Wadding Wool
Bay 3 = K1 static
Bay 4 = K1 Fluidised

Is that a decent place to start?

I should have also expanded more on the build as i do have a surface skimmer with an Aquamax6000 pump which will in return feed a waterfall i am hoping to buy one of these stainless steel blades but would it be wise to include some kind of filtration before the blade?

Thanks again for your replys and any advice!

This pond build has certainly been an education so far!
MikeWh
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by MikeWh »

Hi Mike, It would be wise to filter your skimmer water if you intend to run one. Only based on what comes out of mine daily. good luck with it. Mike
sam51
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by sam51 »

mike1984 wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply, I totally listed the wrong filter on my new build i do infact have a kockney Koi kf10000v not a 5000 as previously stated I must have been in a trance whilst writing my original post!I will purchase two 50 litre bags of K1 to fill two bays, I now plan to have one static and one fluidised as that seems to be a successfull set up for many Koi keepers.

So...
Vortex = Brushes
Bay 1 = Jap Matting
Bay 2 = Jap Matting / Wadding Wool
Bay 3 = K1 static
Bay 4 = K1 Fluidised

Is that a decent place to start?

ok this is how i done mine,i used a 6000 ltr pump,this is what the manufacturers recommend, i tried bigger pumps,but the vortex was like a washing machine on full spin,it also always had a slight nitrite problem.due to the water traveling to fast through the filter.
the 6000 ltr worked a treat,and nothing was needed in the vortex.
in bay 1 i used static k3. bay 2 was jap matting,in a cartridge style.bay 3 was fluidised k1. bay 4 was jap mat laid flat,to polish the final water.all these bays had air lines in so maintenance was a doddle.the kk 10000,is a good filter,but for it work well,you have to stick to there pump guideline.any questions let us know,sam.

I should have also expanded more on the build as i do have a surface skimmer with an Aquamax6000 pump which will in return feed a waterfall i am hoping to buy one of these stainless steel blades but would it be wise to include some kind of filtration before the blade?

Thanks again for your replys and any advice!

This pond build has certainly been an education so far!
mike1984
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by mike1984 »

MikeWh wrote:Hi Mike, It would be wise to filter your skimmer water if you intend to run one. Only based on what comes out of mine daily. good luck with it. Mike
I have not yet purchased a steel blade for the waterfall but with the skimmer being fed via a pump i will explore my filter options, currently i fancy using a pressure filter as this seems an easier option to hide away altough i will explore other options.

I shall post some pictures this weekend :D
MikeWh
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by MikeWh »

Hi mike, obviously it's down to you which way you do it, personally, & it's only my opinion, but I don't run any part of my pond filteration in a way that I can't see whats going on, or if anything needs cleaning. That said there are a wide range of filter units that run this way & folk say they work fine.
I don't know the layout of your pond etc so look forward to your pictures. It is very easy to arrange a very simple pre-filter for your presurized filter if you decide to go down that route, & for about 20-30quid you can have a gravity fed pre-filter that houses your pump if it's submersible, or that your pump can connect to if dry mounted.
This is not everyones cup of tea & best kept out of site of your pond, but by doing this you are not churning up fish waste in your pump impeller & then returning it back to your pond in such a way that your sealed filter won't remove it.
A lot of filters are designed that way by allowing the waste to break down in the water, but IMHO, fine for a goldfish pond not the best for a koi pond.
A simple re-think at this stage COULD save you bacterial problems further down the line....Good luck with it

Mike
mike1984
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by mike1984 »

Hi Mike,

Firstly thanks for your reply, the skimmer i have is an Oase Bioskimmer and the pump sits inside the filter box itself underneath a strainer, therefore the logic of purchasing a pressure filter was that it would be able to be hidden whilst still being capable of feeding a steel waterfall blade which will obviously be a much higer level.

From your post are you suggesting it would be possible for the skimmer to gravity feed a filter? This would be great as then the skimmer could feed the filter and then the pump could connect direct to the waterfall blade connector, however the pipwork on the skimmer i think is only 1 3/4 inch so this would surely not work? Also my pump is an aquamax submersible pump, I dont think i would be able to dry mount this?

I will be able to post some pictures up on Saturday i guess i will have to find somewhere to host them :D

I have also finished sealing the sandstone collar which hides the liner with G4 and the indian sandstown paving around the pond is looking sweet!
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Mike,

It will be a good idea to have some filtration on your skimmer as if your running the pump you may as well filter it :idea:
MikeWh
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by MikeWh »

Well put Gazza :wink: ...Mike, you'll regret not filtering it so carry on down those lines even if it's through a sealed filter. Lot's of folk use them & say they are great. But you can, with the right size pump filter your skimmere/s on a gravity fed pre-filter prior to your sealed filter. This gives you a great oppertunity to dump muck straight out your pond & into the drain, best place for it :wink: Chuck it down the drain & it won't cause you problems later on, & if you stick to that way of thinking through all your filteration, hopefully your problems will be few & far between.
Try & look at it like this.....You've caught a fish pooh, complete, you've got full control of a complete fish pooh, it's in your hands lol :) , do you just mush it up & put it back in your pond to decompose & rot away, or do you throw it away. I know where all the fish muck goes from my pond, & thats straight down the drain every day, a well filtered koi pond can only run this way, obviously only IMO...look forward to your piccys..Good luck...Mike
mike1984
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by mike1984 »

Hi Guys,
I will ensure that the return for the waterfall is filtered!

Hopefully this picture will work and then i can resize some others and post up the progress :D

MikeWh
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by MikeWh »

Looking like a nice & neat job mate, at least the diggings done :D
Mike