new quremtene tank.

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

sam51
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

new quremtene tank.

Post by sam51 »

hi all, just brought a quarantine tank, its 5 ft x 4 ft 3 ft deep. it may well be used as a growing on tank,what is the best way to filter this filter tank.
I'm thinking of putting a 2inch hole at the bottom,then attaching a small pump external, then pumping to a filter,that could sit on top.never filtered a tank this small before.
are the filters with a built in uv any good.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: new quremtene tank.

Post by Gazza »

Hi Sam,

I suppose it depends on what your going to use it for and how many fish will go in it are you going to try and grow some fish on :?:

Your tank will be around 350gls so there are lots of filters that can handle this and i suppose it comes down to cost and space to be honest i run a tank 500gls and use a pod and a shower and it works a treat :D
sam51
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by sam51 »

hi gaz,it will be used as a growing on tank,foremost. about 6 to 8 fish,about 6 inch.can a pod be pump fed.and what size pump.i normally use the eco fishmate.but the smallest is i think is3500Lt's.getting quite exited again.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Sam,

If your going to set it up new then i would go for gravity fed so from the bottom drain to the pod and if i was you i would go for a bigger bottom drain and pipe work 3" would be much better :D
sam51
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by sam51 »

hi guys,whats the smallest pump i can get for this tank.only need one at about 1000 ltr an hour.will probably be going a pod,then pump back in to tank.
greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by greg »

Sam,

Can i be so bold as to make a suggestion (if i'm not teaching you to suck eggs). Gazza is right if your gonna use this tank as primarily a growing tank then you need to set up the filters as such.

Why?

Simply put, the stresses and strains put on a growing tank are quite large, high temps, high feed rates, high stocking, high protein foods etc etc etc.

In order to grow koi in this kind of environment then you need to be able to cover this. IMO an Eazy Pod as a stand alone filter is not going to cut it. It primary function is mechanical and every time you clean it you are going to be flushing away a chunk of the bacteria. The media is (suggested by EA) is only meant for 100grams of food per day - woefully short of what 6 x 6-8" koi will consume in growing conditions.

Pump wise - buy one to suit the filtration you end up using. I believe that smaller ponds (especially ones that are heavily stocked and fed etc) need to be turned over very quickly. Throw the 2hr rule out the window on this one and aim for 4 - 6times an hour so your suddenly looking at a pump capable of 1200 - 1500gph. If you end up following Gazza's route and returning over a shower then you'll need to allow for the head loss for doing this too.

His advice of using a 3" bottom drain is also one of experience and it links in nicely with the 3" inlet into the pod so makes all the fittings easy too.
sam51
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by sam51 »

fair comments greg.the tank has no holes in it. so Ive got lots of options,due to work commitments,they will be fed 3 to 4 time a day.not so much looking for fast growth.
so how would you guys filter this tank.
greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by greg »

Sam,

Sorry for the tardy reply.... got distracted and figured i'll reply later and forgot.

Filters are such an immotive subject and nearly always stir emotion in hobbyists. They are a vessel for carrying the real thing you want "bacteria". It is all about setting them up to do the job you want in the circumstances you need to deal with. My thoughts on a "growing tank" are that you need the FIVE key ingediants:- (providing you have the right koi of course)

Filtration
Water
Food
Heat
Light

The first two are really linked and you cannot create "good" water without the first one. So getting it right is key! I believe that getting the solids out of a pond is important but even more so in a smaller tank so the mechanical filtration needs to be easy to clean and something you'll not mind doing minimum every day. For this i would look at a sieve (you could get away with a midi sieve) or Eazy Pod fed off a Bottom drain.

Then its a case of which biological media you want and the options are endless.

Which type of filter do you use on your current pond?

If it were my 350gallon growing rig it would be...

Bottom drain to sieve and then returned over a Shower (even if its home made) - nice and simple and the ability to clean the sieve at least once a day if not twice. I would then look to run a seperate feed to put my UV and heater on (maybe just a loop with no filtration). Looking to turn the water over at least every 15mins. With a minimum 20% water change a day via a trickle and overflow - heated to 23/24deg C - and metal Halide lights over the pond to help with the colours of the koi.

There of course is the subject of RO and if i was running this pond here with my terrible tap water then i would want a RO unit taking care of the incoming water.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Sam,

I think if it was I then the same as my set up i currently have which Pod as mechanical (i know there will be some bio but thats as i see it) so that i can put clean water over my shower which is pumped with a 12,000ltr pump so as you can imagine of just under 500gls it turns over quickly :D