Bruises

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Bruises

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Ive got a rather gready chag in the growing on pond that keeps bashing itself. Apart from good water quality and warm temperatures Is there anything we can do to aid the recovery of bruising?

Cheers Andy
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Bruises

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

I think you may need some bumpers on the sides or try to see what the fish is damaging itself on :idea:

I have that softer water seems to heal fish a lot better but i cant give you a scientific reason :idea:
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Gazza,
The corners of the tank are rounded and the only thing in the pond is the bottom drain lid. I think it is just bashing the wall when it fights for food-typical chag!

Andy
greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by greg »

Andy,

Gonna sound nuts but rather than try to fix the symptom (ie:- the bruises) - look to see how to address the cause.

Can you alter the way you feed so as to prevent the koi chasing pellets into walls?

So things like:-

Feeding location
air on or off
scattering of food

just a few simple thoughts.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Greg,

Since this occured ive switched the auto feeder off and feed by hand. The problem was caused by the flow of the shower pushing the food against the wall-im now switching the shower off while i feed which means the food tends to stay off the wall meaning the chag just launches himself out of the water!

Hopefully once its out in the main pond should be ok as my filters and air automatically switch off before the auto feeder feeds, plus the auto feeder on the main pond spreads the food accoss the centre of the pond.

Cheers Andy
MikeWh
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by MikeWh »

Hi....One of my chags marks up now & again & the other dosen't, don't know why cos they are both mental :D It always mends though.......Mike