Needles/Injections

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Koiette
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Needles/Injections

Post by Koiette »

Hi everyone

How does everyone dispose of their used needles after injecting koi?

Annette

xx
Brockp
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Re: Needles/Injections

Post by Brockp »

Hi Annette;

You can get a "sharps" box from your local pharmacy which they then take backand have incinerated when it is full.

Far better is to take you needles back to any large pharmacy and most of them do a needle exchange giving you sterile new ones in exchange for your old ones. You do get funny looks and soon get a reputation as the local junky but it is a national scheme and if yoy can avoid blushing it works well.

If you dont like either of these the safest way is to replace the needle in ist plastic cover and then bend it at right angles half way along its length, this avoids needle stick injuries and stops people using them again.

Peter

PS the national needle exchange even have a web site and a forum !
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi Annette

i use a sharps box myself and always have done i have had the same one for years, as peter says you can get them incinerated but i prefer to do this myself so when its full i take the top off and light a fire in my chimney in the back garden and just incinerate them its easy to do

if your using the big gauge white or pink you may wanna take these off an submerge them in a sterilizing solution you may get a few runs out of them obvioulsy the insulin ones are done for and usually dumped after each treatment

dunc
welsh_kai_boy
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by welsh_kai_boy »

So many koi keepers are classed as junkys..... :lol:
Koiette
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by Koiette »

Hi, thanks for this, I never knew about the pharmacy bit, will try that one out first. I bought one of eBay, but wondered what to do with it when full.

Annette

x
greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by greg »

Missed this sorry.....

I too use the needle exchange..... i simply walked into a local chemist and asked for some needle exchange needles. They look at you funny but then hand over a brown bag "free" with about 20 insulin needles in it and a sharps tube. When the tube is full you simply return to the chemist and "exchange" your used needles in the sharps box for a new brown bag.

All for free! - if you don't mind the funny looks.
wallo69
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by wallo69 »

greg wrote:Missed this sorry.....

I too use the needle exchange..... i simply walked into a local chemist and asked for some needle exchange needles. They look at you funny but then hand over a brown bag "free" with about 20 insulin needles in it and a sharps tube. When the tube is full you simply return to the chemist and "exchange" your used needles in the sharps box for a new brown bag.

All for free! - if you don't mind the funny looks.
Now that youve lost all that weight Greg you would certainly look the part! :lol:

Mark