TDS

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

madmole
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Re: TDS

Post by madmole »

PH 7.8, Pond in FULL sunlight and maxa t 24 in summer on very hot days (lots of air going in), Its heated so down to 6C in winter. Reds seem to come out in summer and blacks in winter
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi madmole,

I wonder if the sunlight and heat could be the effecting the Sumi on the fish as that is warm especially if they are in full sunlight,do they have anywhere to keep out of the sun :?:
madmole
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by madmole »

Shade from plants at one end and 6ft deep at tother. If its really bright and hot I'll put something over one end for shade, but nobodies got sunburnt yet
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Guys,

OK so my TDS is hard ...how hard you say well put it this was i can walk on it :lol:

Just so you can see i am not pulling your legs this is on my TDS unit and yes you are not seeing things it does say 770 :shock: quality or what now you know why i want to move:

oldgit
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by oldgit »

Wow it must come out your taps like a sausage machine.
So Gazza what you got it down to with the ro running?

darren
madmole
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by madmole »

LOL, I tried the cat litter and laterite anaerobic filters this summer, The cat litter just dissolved and I had a TDS of 1440 for a week!. Fish loved the murk! I hated cleaning the sponges after that (Thats why they are being replaced by Static K1 as we speak)
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Darren,

Well it does come out slow as the bloody taps fur up :shock: :roll: :lol: we even have filtered water for us to drink or make tea with as it so crap :D

The pond is running at around 150 at the moment with a PH of 7.3 so not to bad and the fish look great (so far touch wood) and i have defiantly seen a difference since running the softer water my fish are much much healthier IMO and look much better and i think this is all to do with having good water and filters and keeping on top of things.I defiantly do not think i would keep my fish in harder water and would defiantly not of tried to keep better quality fish in my old harder water as it trashed the fish and was a waste of water for sure.

Hi madmole,

Yes the "stuff" in cat litter is similar to what is used in a lot of the clays that are sold to be used in koi ponds and IMO is just a waste of time and money and not needed and i think a good mate of mine who changed his style of koi keeping and set up a few years back would agree :D :wink: