Alternatives?

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Alternatives?

Post by greg »

Duncan,

With the post you did on the main section of the forum - http://www.koiquest.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=11236 and the threat that PP is under at least in terms of reliable / affordable (read - justifiable) etc.

What REAL alternatives are out there to PP for treating things such as Trich (in which PP is my usual 1st line of attack) - is the chemicals which we don't know will do the job that "Mr Average" hobbyist is gonna get access to.

It just concerns me with a product such as PP being lost alongside PHS etc. The less tools we have at our easy disposal to treat our koi then the more difficult it becomes to stay in the hobby and keep a decent grade of koi.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Alternatives?

Post by Duncan »

greg let make it clear, the government nor the vets want you messing with PP like it or not thats the way it is , but the government are putting more and more stuff on the hit list i'll scan the doc i have in a minute i dont mind putting it on here but would not put it on general view

im in no doubt that sooner or later probably sooner PP is going to vanish from the shelf and will only be available for industrial use

there are alternatives out there Formaldehyde for one and maybe C/T for another but at higher doses than you normally use

dunc
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi

now this has to stop here you are being trusted here with some very touchy information but this is whats on the hit list

dunc
Attachments
Scan121.jpg
Scan121.jpg (415.64 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
Scan122.jpg
Scan122.jpg (415.68 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi two more

i got reams of paperwork on this stuff to the point im sick of it coming through my door from the home office police a drugs squad

hopefully you can see how serious they are taking this and that there is no way on this planet they are going to allow this to continue sooner or later they are going to shut it all down

dunc
Attachments
Scan123.jpg
Scan123.jpg (139.67 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
Scan124.jpg
Scan124.jpg (131.95 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

HI Duncan probably as silly question (thinking of stocking up)other than Formalin does PP CT Malachite crystals Mercurochrome have a shelf life if kept in sealed containers with no big hot or cold temps and no dampness or moisture.???
greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by greg »

Thanks for the reply Duncan,

Seems there is quite a hit list - although to my eye the current one which really affects us is PP. I don't see any others on there which will count against us in our hobby just yet.

Good news that there is a few alternative treatments out there that you will still be able to supply us. Although how far out the comfort zone we will need to step to treat effectively remains to be seen. I guess another reason for this section. Not sure that this is for some of us to tinker with.

Tommy,

I have already began to build a stock pile. I have enough PP (500gram) to last me a life time in koi keeping i hope. I am now slowly but surely working on the others aswell so i'd be interested in Duncan's comments on storage / shelf lifes.
tomc
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by tomc »

OK, well the news has prompted me to pull my finger out and add to the stock pile.

Honestly, I think we've gone "preventative" crazy. I'm surprised we're allowed to leave our homes unassisted.

Tom
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

Sadly it looks like most of the "Alternatives" are higher up the hit list than PP itself.

Note, that the USA has PP in category I out of II but Europe has 3 categories has yet to add PP to any of them (yet!)

Such a shame that people doing bad things to make loads of money pass their wrong doing down the line to harm so many innocents outside of what they are actually up to.

B.Scott
welsh_kai_boy
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by welsh_kai_boy »

I think the drug dealers will find other alternatives for their drug cultivation, I have never used PP in the koi world but it's almost going to be illegal to own it regardless how old it is?

Sign of the times we live in, pealise the majority for the minority.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

tomy2ponds wrote:HI Duncan probably as silly question (thinking of stocking up)other than Formalin does PP CT Malachite crystals Mercurochrome have a shelf life if kept in sealed containers with no big hot or cold temps and no dampness or moisture.???
hi Lee, sorry this one got past me, its all a matter of storage with powders keep them dry and damp free the shelf life is almost indefinate

with liquids it depends on the liquid, formalin will keep for years as long as its kept warm believe it or not cold is the enemy here as i have mentioned before paraformaldehyde is made by trying to freeze formaldehyde but the freezing point is -97 c this is how para forms so with this stuff keep it at room temperature

malachite green liquid starts oxidising and after about a year when you use it it will skin on the top like a petrol like sheen

mercurochrome/ gentian violet is in alcohol so lasts years as does lock n seal +

but with powders keep them absolutely damp free

dunc
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Hi Duncan I was aware of the formalin and para,I thought the others would be ok if stored correctly.I have a reasonable amount of treatments in stock but if it looks like they will be under threat at some time in the future I will stock up when I get the heads up :wink: