koiquest forum

Off topic chatter

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

cindy
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: koiquest forum

Post by cindy »

Promising to check in more, have it in my favorites menu bar now.

Guess I haven't had any koi problems, I need to read over the winter and learn more.
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Cindy,

This forum was built on the reputation of being the place to go for definitive answers to koi health questions and problems. Duncan spent huge amounts of time ensuring that was the case. I'm now on board and I can talk for England about water and filtration (in fact I have done!!!). There is no need for you or other forum members to wait until you (they) have a problem, if you want to know something just ask. In fact, I've previously said that members can ask health/treatment or water/filtration related questions that they maybe even know the answers to but where the answers given might be useful for other members to read and which will add to the general pool of knowledge. So, by all means, ask questions and see if you can catch us out.
Glenn
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Glenn »

Good to see it back
cindy
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by cindy »

Manky Sanke wrote:Cindy,

This forum was built on the reputation of being the place to go for definitive answers to koi health questions and problems. Duncan spent huge amounts of time ensuring that was the case. I'm now on board and I can talk for England about water and filtration (in fact I have done!!!). There is no need for you or other forum members to wait until you (they) have a problem, if you want to know something just ask. In fact, I've previously said that members can ask health/treatment or water/filtration related questions that they maybe even know the answers to but where the answers given might be useful for other members to read and which will add to the general pool of knowledge. So, by all means, ask questions and see if you can catch us out.

My Duncan books stay close at home and at work and the his health courses are printed out in a binder. Reading some threads on treatments, interesting.
Thanks Manky for the quick reply.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

I have now streamlined koiquest forum to make it less cluttered with sections that conflict with one another
hope you think its a change for the better

dunc
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

I do Duncan.
Dave Collins
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dave Collins »

Looks good to me Duncan :D
Glenn
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Glenn »

Agree with Syd and Dave
Dave Collins
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dave Collins »

All we need now is "posts" :D
Jasminryan
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Jasminryan »

I haven't quite worked this forum thing out to be more involved but I hope to soon x
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Jasmin
its a much better media to talk things out and write in
face book is pants for writing details answers

dunc
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Jasminryan wrote:I haven't quite worked this forum thing out to be more involved but I hope to soon x
It's really easy Jasmin,

Post a question or make a comment about a health issue or a water related subject and you'll get an answer. Anyone with something to contribute on the topic can join in the conversation. In that way it's like FaceBook but the main forum is split into different sub forums that you can use for different kinds of questions. The advantage is that topics are kept separate rather than all being lumped together and mixed in with everything else that's going on and, above all, the threads don't keep collapsing to make room for more conversations so you can reply to a thread that may be days, months or even years old if you think you have a new angle on it or if someone wishes to give an update on what has occurred since it was current.

As Duncan just said "FaceBook is pants" for in-depth discussions. Have a read through some of the content on here and you'll see how it works.
PowerShowa
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by PowerShowa »

You're not alone Jasmine, I've come in to forums after Facebook and can see their benefit for document archives, but they're not particularly mobile friendly, but then not many folk have dropped their PC in the pond. Facebook have missed an oppertunity in groups to have structured threads rather than just a clutterd blog, but should they ever do that it will set the nail in the coffin for traditional forums.
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

PowerShowa wrote:You're not alone Jasmine, I've come in to forums after Facebook and can see their benefit for document archives, but they're not particularly mobile friendly, but then not many folk have dropped their PC in the pond. Facebook have missed an oppertunity in groups to have structured threads rather than just a clutterd blog, but should they ever do that it will set the nail in the coffin for traditional forums.
FaceBook and message forums are structured differently because they were intended to serve different purposes. FaceBook was designed for short messages and social chatter with no long lasting value. Forums are structured to allow more in-depth discussions that are clearly defined with individual topic headings (like this one). Members can respond to a particular topic or start a new one. All topics permanently remain clearly identified on a list so that new comments or updates as to progress can be made at any time and then the topic rises to the top of the list. If you want to know the answer to a question, you can look down the list to see if it's been discussed before and read the whole discussion which can be a few posts or it can run to many pages of valuable information from several different members.

On busy FaceBook sites, previous topics have to be collapsed and vanish in amongst a clutter of new comments within days so that every question has to start again from scratch and much of the previous input has to be painstakingly retyped by those who have answered the question before or it will be lost. FaceBook has to be structured that way because the bandwidth used is so great that there is no other way that it could be loaded onto mobile devices but if they ever restructured their system to copy the format of forums, all they would achieve is to make another forum.
lbt
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by lbt »

I (well we) are also new to the hobby but I recently met Tony (who's now making the Dracodrum) and he recommended Duncan's book (great resource btw) and I've been reading through various posts and articles in an attempt to find out how much I don't know.

IMHO it'd be a shame for the forum to go read-only so I'm glad it's still here.

I do have some questions pending about sedation and probably about setting up the plumbing for my filters (hopefully that's a water quality thing ? :D )

FWIW I was told by Tony and read in Duncan's articles about the benefits of gravity feeding a filter so for the last couple of weeks we've just dug a 9'x4'x5' deep pit next to the pond and spent today laying a concrete slab - all so we can gravity feed the filters!