Off topic chatter

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

koiquest forum

Post by Duncan »

hi

As there is so little traffic on here these days at the back of my mind I have been thinking about making this a read only forum so people can still see the data

to be honest I would like your opinion on the matter

duncan
Dave Collins
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: koiquest forum

Post by Dave Collins »

Somewhat surprised by the lack of response but I suppose that is an answer in itself.
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

I haven't responded because, like Duncan, I would like the opinion of the forum users.

My thoughts are that Duncan has a huge amount of knowledge and experience in koi health and related matters that he is eager to share and I can also waffle a bit about anything that's water related. There are also quite a few users who have advanced knowledge who could contribute to a thread but, although new members are joining all the time, few seem to want to ask questions or want the information that is available. Why not?

This forum has never had a reputation for being a place where the users just chatter about topical events, Duncan built it up as a site where advanced information could be had. Does it's reputation put people off from asking questions in case they look silly? There are no silly questions - only the ones that weren't asked and then ended up causing problems due to lack of knowledge.

Everybody knows something that they could talk about or has a question (even if they already know the answer) that they could ask that would get an answer or responses that would add to the general pool of knowledge. So ask, see if you can catch us out.

Or, as Duncan said, maybe you just want a static site that you can only read - let us know what you want.
Glenn
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Glenn »

Hi Duncan,

Leave it as it is, this is still the most informative site

Regards

Glenn
fisherman
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by fisherman »

Duncan
It would be a sad loss to the koi world :( if you decided to go that way I myself have been helped by you with the forum that you have got me out of problems in the past and hopefully in the future
Pete
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

my thanks to those who have answered

but this just about sums it up the apathy of site that's a shadow of what it once was

some thinking to do me thinks

dunc
Russ Little Pond
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Russ Little Pond »

Duncan

I would like it kept as an open forum.
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

There wouldn't be a problem keeping the forum open if it was being used. Anyone who wants to keep it open can help by posting something. As I said before, ask a question about anything related to koi health/physiology or water and see if you can catch us out. It doesn't need to be something you need to know or don't already know, it can be something that you think might have an answer that others might find informative. Or feel free to add comments to something that has already been posted.
Pondwithnoname3
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Pondwithnoname3 »

This is a great professionally footed forum that would be a great loss should it become a read only forum, in my humble opinion.
I don't take a peek very often for the sheer fact there's not much traffic, chicken egg thing, plus I like a bit of chit chat.
I find forums a live entity even if there's not much traffic, a read only forum would for me be just another one dimensional website and I'd be even less inclined to visit.
I can pick up most of the information I need through static web sites but the beauty of a forum is that I can ask questions and get replies in a way I can understand, and if I don't understand I can ask again.......and again and bore everyone to death. :wink:
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kayoss »

Hi Dunc

I've not replied to this before because, other than saying that the forum has helped me no end, is still a great source of information, but is sadly under used, I've not known what to add that may be constructive.

Undoubtedly, the dreaded facebook groups have overtaken many traditional forums but, TBH, I think the forum has been a victim of your (and lately Syd's) success. The people who visited frequently a few years back have all benefited greatly and learned so much that they now have the knowledge and experience to a) maintain their ponds so as to avoid many problems arising in the first place and b) deal with most problems they do encounter without the need for additional help.

Whatever you decide, I (and I'm sure many others) will always be very grateful that the forum existed and prevented me from packing it all in on more than one occassion - thank you!

Cheers

Bob
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Geoff9 »

Hi Duncan
Sorry I haven't spotted this post till just now, I only visit this forum every 3 days or so as you say it's very quiet but the all the forums are the same at the moment, I read the ******, koi mag, chatter and Extremekoi forums and their all the same so don't be discouraged as the nights draw in I hope more people will visit and post, we don't want to loose any more forums.

Regards Geoff
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

I pop on very sporadically and I admit its the only Koi page I visit these days. Happy to contribute where possible and happy to read too.
Jules
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Still look in mate, would be a las to the koi community f this was read only, especially when I read some of the garbage on other forums and Facebook pages which seem to be mad keen on wheat germ, salting ponds and mfg for every koi ailment going.
Airlite
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Airlite »

I'm a brand new hobbyist and am still finding my way around the various forums. To newcomers like me, this forum is an invaluable resource where I know I can get excellent advice from you and your contributors if and when I need it. It'll be a shame if the current access/format changes and I hope you would consider keeping the forum open as it is for the benefit of newcomers like me who are naturally somewhat reluctant to jump in amongst all you experts but I do understand if there are costs incurred and you are thinking that these outweigh the benefits from your perspective. While you make up your mind, can I just say thanks whichever way you decide to go with it as, like I said above, it's a superb resource and I've learnt a great deal despite not chipping in with many posts. Regards
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

yes

I plan to keep it as it is for the time being anyway
thank you all for your input

dunc