Off topic chatter

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Silver Wolf
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Thank you

Post by Silver Wolf »

Guys
Many thanks for including me on here! I am a retired Engineer, with about thirty years of Koi learning, & water keeping, still learning & happy to make things, DIY, is my blood, research & development is what I did for a living, so great to keep me occupied on Koi activities, I have just under 7000 UK Gallon pond 18x16 feet & 4.5 deep, three bottom drains into an Old fashioned four bay gravity system, #1 brushes #2 moving K1 #3 blue jap matting also aireated, #4 Alfagrog & clam shells with pump return, via three venturi's, Last year I built an in pond skimmer, running over eight "planters" in the form of two tiered T.T, Thiscoming winter/spring will improve the TT with seives in the top one on each! Also creat a Polytunnel over my pond, but under my Pergola. This will (hopefully) have a removable main cover, as I don't think it would look to good from my kitchen window? Was fortunate to get a derilict polytunnel from a local farmer, (had to take it down myself) so just need to adapt it to suit my needs.
My pond is not heated or covered, hence the tunnel for next winter?
Attachments
pond 2014
pond 2014
1407221867442.jpg (83.12 KiB) Viewed 26558 times
Silver Wolf
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: Thank you

Post by Silver Wolf »

Early pond 2k7(1).jpg
Early pond 2k7(1).jpg (185.88 KiB) Viewed 26556 times
1406889600291.jpg
1406889600291.jpg (60.56 KiB) Viewed 26556 times
A few more pics
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

No need to say thank you,

Posts that include pictures are always welcome. One of my particular interests is DIY projects so do you have any detailed pictures of your planter shower that could guide anyone thinking about a similar project? What media are you using?
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

your very welcome here

whats your name? I cant call you silver wolf :wink:
Silver Wolf
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Silver Wolf »

I have used bio balls, crystal bio & k1 in baskets! at the moment, as I mentioned upgrade to a seive on top of TT, because the "in pond skimmer came with a plate to create a pond vac, system great? But it drops all the crud straight onto the medium so needs cleaning?, hence the seive, I have a simple planter prototype & it works well, so just waiting for a bit better conditions.
Here's a photos of TT & prototype seive.
Cheers
Errol
Attachments
1401967923350.jpg
1401967923350.jpg (44.1 KiB) Viewed 26551 times
1398698469363.jpg
1398698469363.jpg (20.24 KiB) Viewed 26551 times
Seive 2(1).jpg
Seive 2(1).jpg (187.29 KiB) Viewed 26551 times
Seive prototype(1).jpg
Seive prototype(1).jpg (145.06 KiB) Viewed 26551 times
Silver Wolf
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Silver Wolf »

My four bay system turns the pond over 7000gallons in approx 1 hour,(measured) the in pond skimmer over TT is roughly the same again, but I haven't measured that, I will wait to see what if any the two seives slow it down by?
Cheers
Errol
fisherman
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by fisherman »

Hi Errol welcome to the forum
You have great set up do you have a window in your pond at all I should have put 1 in my pond you don’t think about it at the time sadly it’s too late now
Glenn
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Glenn »

Hi Errol, Ilike your home made showers, welcome to the best forum
Silver Wolf
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Silver Wolf »

Fisherman
No I dont have a window in my pond, it wasn't all the rage back in 2007 when it was built! I do sometimes think about putting one in, but I can see my pond from my kitchen window, & I think the only benefit a window would give me, is in the winter IMHO! & as I will be putting a polytunnel over it, won't be worth it, & another cleaning job to forget?
Cheers
Errol
vince
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by vince »

hi and welcome silver. love your pond and home made filters. I do love a good DIY filter setup. I must say you have join the forum with the best koi and water keepers around as the admin and mods.

hope you enjoy it here.

Vince
Silver Wolf
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Silver Wolf »

Duncan I' m sorry I didn't get a chance to respond to your request, as can be seen I use the name Silver Wolf on a few forums, but go by the name Errol, a name that has been used for nearly fifty years by work colleauges, my late wife, & many friends? Can you guess my real Surname? It's age related? ! ! & Silver Wolf is a big Clue?
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Errol

welcome mate its no good quoting other forums to me mate I don't get out much and I have this to look after, my Facebook page and koiquest Facebook page

don't tell me your wolverine?? :lol:
Silver Wolf
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Silver Wolf »

I understand being busy & not getting out much? I suppose your are often told to "get a life" but I went through all that before I retired, from 50 years in R&D in the aerospace industry, there is not a day or time of day that I havent been @ work @ some time, & I don't miss it a bit!
If you are interested in names (surnames) the Heraldic expressions used on sheilds etc are very revealing, coates of arms etc.....?
Cheers
No not wolverine
Errol
vince
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by vince »

well I was going to say is it flynn?
Silver Wolf
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Silver Wolf »

Top of the class Vince? It's an age related thing, youngsters don't make the link?