A stunning Ki Sanke and it’s immune to viruses

Off topic chatter

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

A stunning Ki Sanke and it’s immune to viruses

Post by Manky Sanke »

While searching on-line for genetic differences between Japanese and Israeli koi, I came across an interesting website. It details a collaborative venture between leading Japanese researcher Toshiki Ono and his Israeli counterpart Abraham Itzman.

They have been combining genetic material from both strains of koi and also from jellyfish. Jellyfish have an unusual DNA structure that makes them immune to viruses and so the intention was to breed a genetically modified strain of koi incorporating the best traits of Japanese and Israeli koi but with a small piece of DNA from jellyfish that would hopefully render the new Ono-Itzman strain of koi immune to viruses such as KHV.

The website goes on to describe a partial success but with an interesting side effect. They have successfully bred a new sanke but the jellyfish gene has given it yellow eyes that glow faintly in the dark. Ki is Japanese for yellow so they are calling it a Ki Sanke.

It may not appeal to all koi keepers but I think the result is stunningly good looking.

Take a look at the Ki Sanke on the Ono-Itzman site but turn down the lights before you do, because the faintly glowing eyes show up better in the dark.
The Ono-Itzman ki sanke website
ageinghippy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Re: A stunning Ki Sanke and it’s immune to viruses

Post by ageinghippy »

Very good, Mr Mankey. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Obviously, there is no way that I`m admitting that I believed a single word you had written, but I might have done till I came to the "glowing eyes" bit. That was it, just ever so slightly over the top.( I did click the link to be sure though!!!! ) Excellent. :lol:

Chris 8)
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Chris,

I had quite a bit of fun with this one yesterday. On another forum someone posted that his blonde step daughter actually drew the curtains before she clicked the link. :lol:
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

nice to put a face to the name finally! yeh i went to the link like a sucker :lol:
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Heh, heh, heh,

I haven't taken the page down because it had 400 hits on April 1st and still more hits are trickling in from people who didn't see it on that day.