RO system query - mechanical

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

RO system query - mechanical

Post by chita »

Good morning all, a little brighter today, the lord knows we need time to service our filters!

Gazza, or indeed anyone with an answer will do!

Apart from needing a cartridge change what else have you observed to cause the pressure switch to click in and out repeatedly?

I only changed the sediment filter 2 weeks ago and doesn't look as discoloured as it normally is when needing a change. Carbon cartridges were changed only 4 weeks ago so hoping it's not them. Could it be that the colder water has a bearing on cartridge performance/life?

Last time or two this happened I changed the cartridges and all was OK, but the first set of cartridges lasted much longer, around 3 to 4 times longer.

So, either I have a mechanical fault, (possibly a weak pressure switch?) or the water temp affects cartridge performance severely or the recent cartridges used were inferior to the originals.

Any ideas appreciated.

Chi
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Chi,

Well i am a bit surprised as i have not changed my cartridges yet and still seem to be getting the same performance and no drop in pressure :?

I have been cleaning them with the flush nearly every day and perhaps this helps as the cartridge is discolored but not as bad as i expected.

I have not tested the output of the waste yet as i have been mega busy lately but i am so far very pleased with it performance.When i recently asked the RO Man they said they should be good for 5000gls!!!!!and that i would see a drop in pressure and the pressure has not changes since i started running it.......hope Ive piped it up correctly lol :shock:

I take it you mean the switch in the pump box,as my one seems to be working flat out with no problems and i have the same cartridges in as when i got it i would think It could be the switch,unless the pump is loosing pressure.
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

Ah, i must remember to change them filter cartridges??? :oops:

I've a question for all out there with RO units with pumps on them.

Have you ever thought about putting the water from your pond through the RO unit and returning it back to the pond??? this may sound dumb, but if your on a meter it could save you from spending lots on your water bill...

any thoughts boys..
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

It would clog the cartridges so fast you'd need to buy cartridges in boxes of 24 to last a month.

It's a nice idea and one I've harboured myself a few times, just not practical unfortunately.

Chi
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

i'm sure you could take an output from the cleanest water in the pond and give it a final polish before pumping it through the pre-filters and RO unit.
if used alongside the normal RO top-up it would reduce the amount of wasted water dumped down the drain.
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

OK Gazza and any others interested in RO, a lesson learned.

I have just changed my carbon cartridges, again, less than 6 weeks life. The originals from RO man lasted a few months at least as I recall.

There is either a dramatic difference in carbon cartridge performance at low water temps' or the Cartridges supplied by RO man are vastly superior in performance and longevity. It hurts me to suggest this as I have issues with RO mans attitude at times, but truth is of the essence and I shall take the pain the admission creates like an adult!

I have used two sets of alternative cartridges in less than half the time the RO man units lasted. I shall now have to order a couple of sets of the RO man cartridges to prove the theory. At the moment it's beginning to look as though his arrogance is at least justified!

Chi
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

Jane, I believe that even if took water from my sand filter to the RO system it would clog very quickly. Input from an RO mechanical expert might be useful here. If there is any possibility of such a system working Jane I will throw one in next week, it would save so much effort and water.

Chi
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

I am not sure if it would work Jane as would we not be just recirculate water and not adding anything to "freshen" it up!!

Chi what type of water volumes are you getting from you system and where is it positioned??

Mine is in the Pump House with all the boiler and pumps and a tank which is also heated so its normally warm and i have just had a quick calculation (thanks Bob) and it looks like my unit is doing about 211 per day not bad me thinks.

I also wonder if the RO Mans stuff is good as when i have spoken to him before he has told me how good his stuff is and i have to admit it does work well....so far :D
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Gazza,

How many days has your unit been running? At 211 gallons/day might be interesting to know how many 'thousands' you've had through your unit already.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Well Bob the unit was set up in August and at first i was only running it at night but then started to run it 24/7 and would just do the regular daily cleaning of my static.K1 so i am not sure....but i bet it loads as i like a bit of water lol :wink:

The pond is running at a TDS of 120 which is a bit better than before :lol:

I will be ordering some new cartridge's and a flow meter so i can carry out some better tests next time...may even make a log and not loose it this time :shock:
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

Gazza, you are of course talking litres I hope. Just checked mine and as I thought, since the water temps dropped it's 61.30 gpd. I just measured the output into a jug, 1 ltr in 5 minutes and 16 seconds, or 2.5 gph.

Which from the available information I would consider about correct. The spec is for around 240 gpd (UK) at a pressure of 110 to 120 psi and a water temp of around 25c. All of which is impossible of course with the standard pumped system, which in my case runs at 90 psi with clean cartridges, as now.

As water temp is never close to the optimum even in the height of summer, and the drop is so large for every degree reduction in water temp, I don't believe it's possible to achieve 200 gpd even in the summer, far less so now.

My unit produced around 160 gpd out of the box with all original parts, I was informed this was more than acceptable under normal working conditions.

The biggest problem is the silly temp factors, go take a peak at the tables online, the drop in output at even 5 degrees below optimum (which is what output is specified at) is phenomenal.

I accept the cartridges currently in use may be reducing output if they are not as efficient as the originals, but I doubt it's by 140 gpd.

I only wish I were wrong on this Gazza, it would make life so much easier.

Chi
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Chi,

I have just gone out and done the water in the jug test twice to double check using a new measuring jug which is clearly marked and it take 1 minute and 47 seconds to fill to 1000ml/1ltr.

Is you RO unit the 300gpd pumped unit and do you keep it in the warm or have long pipe runs or am i just extremely lucky :!: :!:

All my pipe runs are very short the product water only has to go a couple of meters from the pump.
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

Gazza, by my maths thats 180 gallons per day..
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

Oi, guys have you ever thought of using the cable type heating thingy wrapped around the inlet pipe and of course insulated. to warm the water before it goes through the unit??
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Jane,

Go on then how did you work this out as i always cock these calculations up :roll: :? :roll: :?