RO system query - mechanical

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

poey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by poey »

hi chi
many thanks for the help and advice.
i am thinking of ordering the unit from r/o man tomorrow,so i will speak to him about it also.once i reach my target water with the r/o system it maybe that using the water on a auto top up system using one of the auto shut of valves that r/o man supplies will work on my pond,it maybe that a trickle to waste not run 24hrs works on my pond as you say every pond will be different,so i will have to see what works best for me to maintain my desired tds and KH.
thanks again
Dave.
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

Welcome to the club Dave, your Koi will love you for it.

Gazza, what's you'r ORP / REDOX at the moment? Mine's reached it's highest ever genuine reading at 387 this morning, must be the protracted cold spell.

Chi
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Chi,

Mine has also gone up above the 350/360 could this be the UV????

Also since turning on the UV the BW has started to grow whats that all about :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

OK Gazza, same here

The UV appears to reduce the bacterial count in the water for starters, not a revolutionary amount but obvious from scope observations. I should clarify that I have a very good scope, with upto 2000 x magnification, with colour cctv kit viewing on a quality 19" monitor, I will not bore you with the plethora of attachements etc.! I also have access to water tests at £2.50 a shot locally!

The UV of course also kills off single cell algae, and before you say you don't have any, virtually every pond has some, visible or not. Both of these first two factors improve the ORP / REDOX reading, and your 10 point rise or so is commensurate with my own experience. It takes a few days at least for the rise to show, as the dead algae needs that time to be filtered out of the system mechanically.

Unfortunately due to the lack of competition, the BW grows a little, but that in turn also improves the water by removing unwanted minerals and nutrients. This adds a little more over the next week or so to the ORP / REDOX reading, I'm now waiting to see whether the BW grows any more. I'm quite happy with small amounts of BW, it acts a little like a vegetable filter and the fish appear to graze on it also.

In my own setup I have a number of integrated solutions for the easy removal of BW in reasonable quantities. If it stays within those limits I'm happy, my idea of those limits are as follows.

I have a 1750 gph pump sat on the bottom at one end, simply taking in water and pushing it out the other side. This creates additional currents and also pushes crap towards the filter intakes. In this pumps outflow zone I have a V shaped lawn of BW. This forms a V shaped patch on the pond bottom, the V being some 2m in length and 1m wide at the wide end away from the pump, with strand growth around 6" to 9" long .

Apart from this I have just a few odd strands from 6" to 12" long around returns etc., which can be removed in a minute. I hope to contain growth despite the gains from turning on the UV, due to the low nutrient content of my water. I'm just on a waiting brief for a few weeks now but it seems to have settled as described, which is around 25% more BW than with the UV off.

I am more than willing to trade this for the raised ORP / REDOX value, though if the BW increased to say 50% more than it's current level I would rethink the situation.

Chi
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Chi,

Well i left the BW from the summer and after thew EA stuff i decided to leave all alone but since the UV went on it has come back to life so i can see a dose of PB coming shortly!!!!!!

Its come on very well this week perhaps i could sell it...anyone want some nice fresh BW :?: :?: :?: :?:
Maurice
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark
Location: In a Polytunnel, Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset.

Post by Maurice »

Hi all, just found the thread.

Gazza, what is the TDS of your product water?

Maurice.
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

Hello Maurice, long time no hear, I hope life has been kind to you of late.

I think I can answer for Gazza, as we have discussed our readings recently. His RO product is around 1 or 2 tds I believe, though I'd have to check previous notes to be sure, it may have been as high as 5 at times.

His pond TDS is around 120, PH approx' 7.2 ish, KH around 3 to 4 and GH probably 5 to 6. I'm sure when he's recovered from the Saturday syndrome he'll pop in and update. My own are 100 TDS, KH2, GH3 to 4 and PH7.2.

I do however recall Gazza saying he'd had a hiccup after adding the wrong water or similar, so his readings I believe went up a little, don't know if he's got them back down yet. It might be best to wait for his input, but you have some background now.

Needless to say Maurice, whilst I have learned much of these matters of late your input on the subject is valued.

Chi
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Maurice & Chi,

Yes i am slowly recovering from the cock on the water which sent the water back up!!

At the moment i am running at TDS 150 & PH 7.5ish and a massive water bill :shock: :shock: :shock:
poey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by poey »

hi Gazza
how massive is massive?just massive or really MAAAAAAASSIVE? :shock:
cheers Dave.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

You dont wanna know Dave - LOL

Good job Gazza is loaded, he just dont care.
poey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by poey »

hi Bob
that massive eh!
the reason i ask is i will shortly be getting the same unit that Gazza is using and i'm also on a meter,so i would like to know how massive the row is going to be when the wife sees the bill :o :roll: .
cheers Dave.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

So how much would you expect your monthly direct debit to be Dave?

House + RO water = £
poey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by poey »

hi Bob
i think i pay 80p a meter for water with Severn Trent water.we have been in the house for just over two and a half years now the first year we moved in the water bill was 13 pounds a month which i figured was the same as the previous owner where paying,i thought not bad cheaper than water rates at the last place :oops:
now with the pond the water has just gone up this year to 35 pounds a month,so still around the same as we used to pay on water rates at the old place,the wife had a new dishwasher earlier in the year so the water increase when on that :lol: ,lol.
what it will cost with r/o on the pond?
cheers Dave.
Maurice
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark
Location: In a Polytunnel, Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset.

Post by Maurice »

Gazza, you missed the question I asked.

What is the 'current' TDS of your 'product' water?

Maurice.
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

Gazza, please answer uncle Maurice's question, he may have a little nugget we missed and we'll never find out until you tell him!

Chi