Quarantine pond build (UPDATE 2)

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Bob Hart wrote:Looks really good Jason, what are the sizes?

The measurements are 4 ft 10 wide, 4 ft 1 long and 3ft 2 deep Bob, it will keep a couple of little ones warm over the winter.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Roughly 375 gallons then Jason
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Looking good and sounds like it may get fiberglassed by the new year :wink:
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Its looking that way Gazza..... :wink:

Quick question for Bob........
I posted another topic " Best Order "....
The reason i did was because when we were talking over the setup of this Q/tank, you posted some pics of yours and it looks like you pump from the vortex, then up to the filter, thats why i asked what was the best order mate, i just wanted to know what my best option was....

Vortex, filter, pump, uv, heater. or
Vortex, pump, uv, heater then filter....?

The reason i ask is, if i put the heater mid section will i lose a bit of heat due to it being pre filter, and my other query is, if i leave the heater til last what is my best option as a return to the pond...?
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Jason,

The position of the heater on such a short circuit will not make any difference i would suspect so don't worry to much.

As for the positioning of the stuff how are you going to run the system.From memory i thing Bob has a gravity fed vortex and then pumps up and over the showers.

Hope this helps.
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

The vortex will be gravity fed Gazza, but i also have room to gravity feed the filter as well, would it make a difference either way..? if i gravity feed the filter what is my best option for a return from the heater...? Spray bar or an upward facing open outlet..
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Jason,

The filter you gave looks to have 2 or 3 bays and should be positioned after the Vortex. With the pump on the end followed by the UV, then heater. The whole filter will then work on gravity, pulled through the entire filter by the pump. The pump will need to be correctly sized though, otherwise you will just suck air. Just make sure you have a valve after your pump. If the pump you installed is found to be too powerful, then you can throttle back on the pump outlet using this valve. Not perfect, but it will enable everything to then work OK.
This type of filter arrangement is what most people use on their ponds, and works very well.

In my system, I have the gravity fed Vortex, then I just pump loads of water up to the showers. In this way I can turn the water over far quicker and not be restricted by the bays of the filter.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Jason,

The Aquamax 10,000 you'd mentioned earlier, will be far too powerful, as would an Aquamax 5500 and probably the 3500 model. As long as your return back to the pond is near the surface, then a central heating circulator pump probably on speed 1 will be ideal.
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Thanks Bob.....
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Well thought i would post a couple of updated pics..most the pipework is done, just a few little bits to do, it will be glassed in just over a week, and i finally feel like i am getting somewhere.
I took the door off and turned it to open outwards for more room, which i needed and managed to get over my initial mistake of using 2.5" waste pipe :oops: :oops: , and managed to make a connector that fits nice and tight, the only thing i don't like is that it goes from 2.5" to 2" ( for the ball valve ) to 3" to 4" on the inlet, gonna box it in so it can't be seen.. :lol: :lol:

If there is one thing i have learned from this, its that planning is so important, in fact its more than that.. :lol:

I have included a pic of my nearly finished homemade trickle tower, just waiting for a reply for a price on some H2 honeycomb media to slot in it.

[img]http://snap21.photobox.co.uk/54164790e52ae1 ... db13cb.jpg[/img]

[img]http://snap25.photobox.co.uk/78101946e06eec ... 473ffd.jpg[/img]

[img]http://snap21.photobox.co.uk/84387837c0f110 ... f46126.jpg[/img]
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Looking good Jason and nearly ready to fill and pop some fish in what you need is something to Grow and Show!!!!!
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Well you know where i am going in the morning mate.... :wink:
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

certainly looking good, but! are you sure your vortex and filter will be safe on that flimsy shelf. remember that they will be full of water and weigh a fair bit.
also you might have to get a bigger pump as with all the twists and turns combined with the height your pumping the flow rate will be greatly reduced.
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

There is a bit of strengthening to be done but they are already solid Jane,
Managed to get my hands on a Grunfoss 15/50 for under £20 ( good old ebay.. :lol: ) i will try that first, might still be ok as it has 3 speeds.
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kayoss »

Hi Jason

Prices of the media are available on the Paragon Plastics web site. Look at the size of their filter modules and the mini, med, & maxi sizes match the size of the media blocks. Just measure your boxes to see what size you need. The stuffs dead easy to cut using a normal wood saw. I've successfully cut some down to fit a Maurice Cox trickle tower - one of the round ones.

Enjoy your trip. It must be like waiting for Christmas all over again? Never mind - only one more sleep!!!

Bob