Whats This???????

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Bob,

Well the system has settled down now and is looking very good and nice and clear so i can see the fish now :D
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

I decided to go and have a look at the difference in the waste water/foam which had collected in the bucket today as i was home nice and early and was surprised at the difference :D

The tank did have loads of foam after recent modifications but has been OK for the last week or so and fairly clear and i have not seen a difference in it overnight,but have a look at the pictures below and tell me if you can see a difference :?: :?:

Do you think these work :?: :?:

This is the water from the tank:

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_5043.JPG[/img]
This is the water from the waste bucket:

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_5044.JPG[/img]
Guy P
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Guy P »

Nice job Gazza

My air one the pond is on full on one air stone and just over half on the other.
Guy P
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Guy P »

Yep they deffo work mate, what did I tell ya Id recommend to anyone.

My next pond will have them in the filters for sure.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

So have you two air stones in yours and where are the air stones in the pipe :?:

Funny but i have just added another one to see what happens :D

Have you noticed if it works better with the waste (outlet pipe) below the water in the waste bucket or no difference :?:
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Gazza,

That looks good! Is that yukky green water from just one day? Can i ask how much all the bits of pipe etc cost? Thinks i will be having a go at one of them!

Andy :D :D :D
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

Come on mate please keep up it took me ages to write it all out :wink:

Yes thats from just one day well there was a bit more when i was messing around last night but i put that over my plants :D
Hi Jane,

Well i just went down to my local Plumbase and got some bits but i am sure someone in the know could probably get the bits cheaper or even different bits that will do the same job

I already had the 110mm pipe and some 2" pipe which went in the reducer and all the other stuff cost me just over £37

It was a piece of cake to put together and took about 30 minutes or maybe half an hour at most

Stuff required (not 100% on the names)

2 x 4" Boss type Tee's
1 x Access plug
1 x 4" - 2" reducer internal drain connector or similar
2 x 40mm l/tail bends
1 x length (3m) 40mm pipe
Length of 110mm waste
2" pipe for reducer.

I then glued the reduce into the 110mm pipe which is to couple both the Boss type tee pieces together.

Then i glued the two boss type tee's together with one 40mm outlet pointing opposite ways so one could go into the tank and the other could go over the side to the waste bucket.

I then drilled a hole (20mm) in the top of the Access plug and put a compression gland in to hold the air line in place and then this was glued to the top of the tee's (this is the lid).

I then pushed both the 40mm L/tail bends into position which is tight so i didn't glue them at the moment in case i need to change anything.

I then cut some 100mm pipe which is to go in the bottom of the tees and into the tank.I cut this so it was a couple of inches of the base of the tank as i have no idea if there is a set length.

The unit was then placed into the tank so i could measure the length needed for the waste pipe which would be going into a bucket.I made this long enough to go into the bucket over half way again not sure if there is any set length but i can make it shorter if needed.

The unit was then placed in the tank and the air line pushed through the compression gland so it was just off the bottom of the tank and pipe then on went the air which is a single line from a Hi Blow 40 with a large air stone

I went out a little while back and the waste water which didn't look very foamy was noticeable dirtier than the tank water when compared in a jug.(sorry no pictures yet)

Hope this helps and if not just ask and ill try to help
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Gazza,

Sorry mate, was just looking at the pictures! Looks good! :D :D :D

Andy
Guy P
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Guy P »

The 2 air stones are as far down the pipe as I could go, Id say about an inch from the bottom of it. I didnt find any difference with the waste pipe bellow the water in it or above it. Some days I will forget to empty it and it will just overflow.
DidIdothat
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by DidIdothat »

Is the depth/length of the pipe down into the water important?

Or could the length be shortened if the distance between the outlet and the foam outlet was shortened?

Could you use a larger airstone?

The reason I am asking is that I would like to try one in my filter outlet but of course I don't have the depth.

Phil
gingeletiss
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by gingeletiss »

Phil

I suspect it is adaptable.......Gazza made this off cuff.....I've no doubt he will come on and say the same..........trial and error :wink: :wink: :wink: this is the name of the game :wink: :wink:
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Phil,

Trial and error is the name of the game :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry Dave :wink:

I am not sure to be honest but i would make it up as i have the top part and then not glue in the bottom length and try it.I think you will find it will still work fine as it will still make the bubbles which will make there way to the top of the pipe and down the waste pipe as they have to come to the top :D
Guy P
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Guy P »

Agree with Gazza

I would have put mine in my filter if it wasnt a Nexus so inevitably it went in the pond. As long as you have a couple of feet of pipe it will be fine and you will remove DOC no problem