Post by Thorny »

Does that mean You will feed My fish now :lol:
Lets see a picture of it all up and running
Justin
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Just gave them all a celebrationary light feed, first food for 10-days, so they looked a bit confused - LOL

Couple of pictures for you then

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... CN4137.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... CN4136.JPG[/img]
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Bob,

Is that "stuff" i can see in the settlement chamber already :?:

So how does it work with the pipes sticking out of the water :wink:
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Once the chamber was full, I then allowed a load of water to go through into the next chamber. This lowered the settlement chamber, so when I pulled off the 3 4" inlet's, a lot of crap came through. Most of this was dead blanket weed and that's what you can see. I netted out most of it though.

Now it's just a matter of watching and seeing exactly what happens!

Oh yeah, and make some new covers next weekend.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

NEW COVERS :shock: can you make them a bit lighter this time :wink:
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Bob,

Looks like you guys have been busy! As usual looks like a very good job in deed! The new modification is bigger than my old pond! Can i ask a silly question? Im assuming that the settlement chamber is used to allow settlement -does it not have any media for the bacteria to grow on or is it purely for settlement? Also how do you clean it/empty it? Sorry for the daft question!

Keep the pics coming!

Cheers Andy :D :D
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

crikey ....hes done it already, filled up , running and feeding 8) 8) 8) 8)
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Andy,

Yes it is settlement only. After this chamber I have 3 more chambers with nearly 1000 gallons in them and they are used K1, K1 and Japa Matting cartridge.

The principle here is that the large flat bottomed settlement will allow solids to settle all the way across and down the settlement, not all bunched up in one place. The crap can then slightly bio degrade on it's own, but wont go off as it's only a thin layer of crap.

To clean it you just hoover the bottom. The pipe coming through the wall on the right hand side, goes all the way to my shed. On the end is a permanently installed pump with basket, which will be plugged into a remotly controlled socket outlet. In theory al I have to do is connect up the hoover pipe to the pipe in the settlement chamber, then switch on by remote and hoover away.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Bob,

Im with you now-didnt realise you had more chambers-can see the covers now! Incrediable system you have there. Would love to see pics of the whole filter if you have any? Are you going to have a static k1 after the settlement or just biological after? I would hate to see your water bill if you had to drain it every day!

Cheers Andy :D
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Andy,

Sorry I dont really have any up to date pictures, will get some soon.

The whole filter is a bit of a cock-up really. Built 12-years ago before the Internet or decent Koi magazines/books. At the time when I built it I didnt know anyone else who kept Koi. I was a member of the South East section of the BKKS, but didnt really know any of them there. So just designed and built it all, and have been altering it ever since!

No intention to have Static K1 after the settlement, but that depends on how well it works. The next chamber which is fluidised K1 could very easily be made into static K1.

I'm not on a meter, but I have no doubt at some time in the future everyone will be metered. Water is becoming scarse and drouts more common, just a matter of time before all those fat cats put meters in everywhere.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Bob,

You seem to have done a good job with the filtration so far! There aren't many filters out there that have a chamber that big for settlement! Will the settlement chamber allow blanket weed to settle? Glad to hear your not on a meter :) Unfortunately our new house is :( .

Can i ask how big the chambers are? Im stuck for space with my filters and like the idea of block built like yours as they fill all the available space but was wondering how smaller chamber can be built so that there is still enough room to fibre glass it?

Keep us posted on how the filter is going!

Cheers Andy
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Andy,

My total filter is 29 feet long

I've also got a 3-tier Bakki Shower with 60 litres of BHM in it. This is fed by a mid water feed and I pump the skimmer over it.

The key to any filter is the settlement, once all the solids are out them fuidised K1 is your best bet. I see on another thread you're tempted by the Nexus range and you're thinking aout 5000 gallons. The 300 would be better than the 200. Taggy has the 300 on a 4000/4500 gallon pond, works very well and would allow you to become over-stocked and not have a problem.
macaws fly
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by macaws fly »

Bob that looks like a nice space for a couple of koi to grow on ! at least you wont loose them in the big pond....
or even string across a piece of netting and grow some water cress for the salad bowl
red koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by red koi »

Hi Bob,
please count me in for the weekend at the national. I have a better camera ready this time too it would be fun :lol:
It would be nice if we could have same sort of arangment as last year.
And the pictures of my new filter project I will try to post them in a day or two.

Regards
AMIR
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Mark - did think that, but they would probably stir all the muck up, maybe though

Amir - will be in touch soon.