Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

pH 7.5/6
KH 5
GH 5
TDS 140

This is using RO water for just less than a year. Sumi faded after being treated for a small injury, perhaps stress related to anesthetic????? At the time the water was harder pH 8.2
tomc
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by tomc »

That kohaku is going to like that water, Bob!

I've seen koi's hi go completely after the stress of injury. Don't think the anesthetic but the bodies reaction to the problem. Kind of like people going grey overnight :wink: (or all their hair dropping out).

That said, my shiro had a problem as well (owner's fault) and her sumi has come on more after the problem than before.

OK, my gut feel is that with that water you are not going to get really deep sumi but you should expect to get reasonable sumi.

It would be interesting, if you have the space, to have a second tank where you run within non-RO water and place this shiro for a couple of months to see what happens. S

Tom
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Good thought Tom.

I dont run my growing on tank with soft water, just plain old purified tap water. I'll have to see whether I could pop it in there for a couple of months next Summer perhaps.

The Kohaku will go in the other direction then! Seems very happy in 450 gallons and eats like a real pig. Will be interesting to see what the growth is like come late Sping/Early Summer.
tomc
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by tomc »

Yep, I have high hopes for that kohaku of yours. As I told Gazza, I would have taken her myself at that price if you had turned her down. I think well worth the experiment. Great kiwa.

I'll show you my shiro's development at weekend but it started coming up very quickly. Same [remergence of sumi] as koi returning from mud ponds.

Tom