Mini Shower

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

So what can I do to make it a bit better then Dave??????

Not a bad start though eh Dave? Ist mould ever, seems to be OK, but getting it off at the end is a bugger. Is what you are suggesting having a 'lip' of sorts on the edge, so the glass doesnt turn itself over?????
dave a
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by dave a »

get yourself a good book on moulding technices you will find out all sorts of better ways to do it and then modify to suit your own skills if I tell you how to do it you might not find it easier then using the grinder its like everything else learn as you go :D

I see you used lots of PVA as a release agent that is not helping either spend some wad on a decent wax makes it easier.

Green trimming wait until the grp is set but not hard still a little flexible for want of a bettewr term and just run uncle stanly round mould :D :D :D

I take it you will now pay my teaching bill and also for the chinese hat that I have today thrown in the skip :D more time and money wasted :D
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Cheers Dave, I understand the green trimming now - thanks

I did use lots of car wax on the mould. It did release easily once I'd got the glass off the edge.
macaws fly
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by macaws fly »

bob as dave says get yourself some proper mould release wax. it contains other chemicals that car wax doesnt and makes a big difference when your using a wooden mould more than once.

it also works really well as a car wax :roll:

i still think you should stick with the fibreglass and make your own brackets for stacking the shower trays. thisll then be a true "bobs your uncle shower"

are you going to make a special addition to the bottom tray to guide the water back to the pond...?
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Mark,

The car wax works really well. I have a friend with his own Fibreglassing business and he recomends this stuff. Can think why I'd want to spend a load of money of anything else!!!!! I'm not going into business, just making a few tiers for use by Gazza and myself.

The stainless rods, or plastic pipe will work well enough for me I feel as supports bewteen each tier. I dont want to be making this for the next 6-months !!!!!

There will be some sort of bottom tray/chute for the flow back into the pond. Just got to work out how to fix the bottom tier to it yet, but plenty of thoughts going on.
dave a
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by dave a »

if you have a mate in the buisness why are you asking me for advice or wont your buddy tell you :D :D :D
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Hi Dave,

Only because you have done Koi filters before and you are here with your knowledge. He's more into larger enclosures, but he has advised me so far on this mould. In a large factory environment it's a bit different to my simple needs.

Plus of course you like to help me :lol: :lol: :lol:
dave a
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by dave a »

two hopes mate BOB and no :D :D :D :D :D

Notice you did not comment over the chinese hat still did not expect you to as from my end you just use people to your own ends does not matter I wasted time and money but as a good person I still give you advice why I dont know maybee I am the good guy :D
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Hi Dave,

You dont sound very happy mate????

Thought we'd done the chinese hat thing some while back, shook hands at the National etc.

Just like you Dave I like to help people where I can, it's all part of the big Koi friendship we all have. We all learn from each other and try to pass on what we know, helps everyone.
JohnC
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by JohnC »

Bob, why not glass some batten (cut at 10deg.) in the corners, so that the weight is carried on them rather than on the side walls? The same principle as stacking boxes, the top of the bottom batten sitting under the one above. Hope that made sense :roll: Regards JohnC.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Yeah think I'm following you John, or perhaps not LOL

Do you mean across the corners?

Once I have the second one off the mould, it should make it easier for us all to see what I have.
red koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by red koi »

Hi Bob,
It’s looking very good so far very neat and tidy. Gaza you must be very please too. :wink:

Regards
AMIR
JohnC
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by JohnC »

That`s perpendicular Bob rather than horizontal! ( a picture really is worth a thousand words)!!!
poey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by poey »

Hi Bob
instead of putting the return chute on the bottom shower tray,could you not build it to the side of your grow on pond then glass over it,then simply stand the shower above it.
cheers Dave.
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

Bob,

I can't see on the photo, did you round off the corners on the mould? It makes life a lot easier when you fibre glass it. As it it quite hard to "turn" the CSM 90 degrees.

I manage to get some stainless steel showers off eBay for £100, otherwise I will be after the moulds when you are finish with it.

Good luck with it mate.

David.