Mini Shower

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Big John
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Big John »

I didn't want to make a TT out of stacking boxes as the top would be far too high off the ground on my setup.
After seeing all the hard work here, I wondered about buying a few of these...
[img]http://www.lbsgardendirect.co.uk/images/pro ... 001T_l.jpg[/img]
But then my local supermarket kindly 'donated' a few of these...
[img]http://www.buy-plastic-storage.co.uk/upload ... ts/399.jpg[/img]
(but in black).
Only being 6" tall, the whole stack won't be very high & they have plenty of holes in the bottom & I'm hoping the side vents won't be a problem - in fact, I'm hoping the cross ventilation will help!
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

I can see how 3 Terracotta plant troughs might look quite attractive, could even have a few overhanging / trailing plants!

Well done Bob, get that water flowing, you know it makes sense!

Aitch
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

That looks brilliant, a real professional job-you should sell them! Can i ask roughly how much fibre glass matting and resin goes into something of that size? Id love to have a play with some fibre glass, but am unsure about how far a pack will go? Dare i ask how many hours went into the filter-although looking at the result it was well worth-great job!

Andy
macaws fly
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by macaws fly »

well i must say "hats off to you Bob" for a great job well done.
a true koi quester.
over engineered, superbly made using way too much fibreglass for the job (you could drop that from a jumbo and it wouldnt break)

heres a question for you.... if you were to do it again what would you do different??

and as an afterthought, those walls around the QT look very wet??
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Andy,

Thanks for your comments and it works really well, so I'm pleased. I have thought about making a few and selling them.
Each tier is roughly a square metre of 600 grade glass, plus tissue coat.
The bottom chute was made of wood first and then glassed. The whole thing from making the mould through to the finished shower took roughly 15 hours to make, maybe a bit more. This was spaced out over many weeks though, just making a tier one wek, then another the following week.

Mark,

Definitely over engineered as you say.
What I would change would be the chute/back. Mine as you say could be dropped from the top of a hose and still not break, well perhaps not, but the bottom chute doesnt need to be that strong.
I have wondered about making a mound to make the chute/back from, which would then just be a few layers of glass, no wood. As long as it was built with appropriate strengtheners in it, I cant see why it would work and be strong enough. I'd want to make it so it could sit on the edge of a pond.

If I had 10 people or more who were interested, I'd perhaps make the mould and knock up a few. Just hope there are not 10 takers, as I dont know where I'd find the time!!!!!!
macaws fly
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by macaws fly »

Bob, if your going to make a new mould for the back/chute then have a look at making it out of "foamex" (the stuff they make signs out of) use the 10mm thick stuff.

it cuts easily, sands well and glues together easily. and is a lot more flexible than MDF. also it has a natural waxy surface great when releasing it from the fibreglass.

if you find your local sign shoppe they normally have some good size off-cuts for pennies..
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Good thought Mark, I know somewhere locally to get that stuff
tancho111
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by tancho111 »

hi bob
i would be interested in one any idea on cost
many thanks
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Bob,

You've gone and done it now-id be interested in one depending on cost. (only 8 more needed!) Ive spent all day thinking about having a play with some fibre glass (making a big mess anyway) Was wondering how many layers of the 600 you used, also you mentioned a coating layer-is this a finer layer of more like a paint? Thinking of making a small filter of some description for a quaratine tank. Look forward to hearing from you, regrads Andy
dannyboy
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by dannyboy »

:P :P :P LOOKS LIKE YOUR GOING TO BE A BUSY BOY :P :P :P :P
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Cost per 3-tier shower and chute would be by contacting me on a PM/email

I have already had a couple of PM's as well, so 4 people interested so far.

Each tier was made up of 3 layers of 600 grade. The finish is then covered with a tissue layer, then flow-coated, which has the wax in it.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Bob,

Definately would have one for that price-you should set up a buisness!

Andy
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

I dont think I'd make any money if I were to run it as a business. Looks like I better get myself started to knock a whole load of these!