Block built filter debate

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Yes big transfer ports is what I'm looking to do, 6" being a dam good size - must keep my eyes out for some pipe 'laying about'!

What I'm thinking of doing is converting the 2nd chamber (currently aerated K1, was previously a brush chamber) to being another static K1 chamber. This would mean passing a 4" pipe from the bottom drain inlet chamber, through the Vortex/static K1 chamber, to it.

Then from here, take a 6" outlet through the next chamber to the 4th chamber.

The outlet from the original Vortex/Static K1 chamber, will have to go through the 'new' static K1 chamber to the 3rd chamber.

If that was all OK, its just what to do with the 5th chamber. If I joined everything back together here, there may be different pull through rates from both systems?
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

Wow, the debate is still going strong.

Just fitted 2x500 watt flood light today so it doesn't matter what time of the day I go outside it is still light.

As regarding pulling the vortext twice every day. I like doing it. I go out to feed the fish twice aday, and it is only 30 seconds out of my life to flush the vortex. Now that I have the lighting I can even see the fish!!! Did I mention my vortex is sitting in my shed away from from the rain. :D

Good luck with the filter mods, Bob. I am sure you will keep us posted when the time comes.
greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by greg »

Removed.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

OK instead of making 2 filter systems, why dont I just rip out the brick/block built Vortex and a couple of dividing walls and make a large settlement chamber at the front end. It would be roughly 2.5 metres x 1 metre x 1 metre deep, giving over 1000 gallons. There would be a bit more up front of the length, where the pipes come in.

You guys with the large settlement chambers, what's yours thoughts on this? Remember the 5100 gallon per hour turnover, is this large enough?

The advantages on the rebuild for me would be that this is easy to achieve.

But what advantages/disadvantages would I then have with operating it?????

Advanatages
- no K1 to block up on in the Vortex/Static K1.
- Therefore no pumps being starved of water

Disadvantages
- would everything settle out i the size chamber?????
- How do I easily clean this out?
- Draining it would lose over 1000 gallons, take a week to refill on RO water and may not be able to restart pumps for a couple of days until it does top up enough. Or doesnt it have to be drained each time?
greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by greg »

Removed.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Greg,

Thanks for your post, but I do feel you are missing one key point. The filter 'exists' this would be a change to the settlement only. Perhaps it's my poor explanation, I'll explain further

There are 3 x 4" bottom drains coming in at one end of the filter system all pipes point upwards and can be isolated by putting on pieces of 4" pipe.
Currently a small chamber exists which they are in and 2 x 6" exists from this small chamber feed into the Brick/block built 37" diameter vortex. This has static K1 in it and the 2 x 6" outlets feed into an aerated K1 chamber. This chamber used to once be a brush chamber.

Now if I removed the Vortex structure and the adjoining walls between these 3 chambers, the result would be an oddly shaped chamber, with rough dimensions of 2.5 metres long x 1 metre wide x maximum of 1 metre deep. It would have 2 x 2" bottom drains in it as that's what's there now. I can render and fibreglass it - but would it do the job?

I may well post this same question over on the ****** forum, as I do view what goes on over there.

I just dont want a dirty settlement area which is difficult to keep clean. Or a settlement chamber that does work as it's too small for the flow through. And I definitely dont want brushes ever again!!!!!
Dave T
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Dave T »

Hi Bob,

Firstly good size settlement will take out nearly all the waste passing into it....in my case I hazard a guess of it defiantely being in the 95%98% range as my bio is spotless.

I have 2 drains going to the settlement tank, both draw similar amounts of water through them...you ask how do i know? if I put my hand over the entry pipes to the settlement tank both seem to have same flow.
Like Greg says it is ideal to have a drain to each tank for best settlement.
My settlement tank is 12ftx3ftx3ft & have 2 aquamax 12000 pulling from the filter which equates to 5,300 gals/hr ...realistically Im probably pulling 3-4k gals per/hr.....In your situation the waste will settle theres no doubt about that.
Bob if you modify to a large settlemnt tank, if at all possible you could bench the tank WELL in an effort to get the waste to settle and roll to the outlet/drain making it easy to purge.
Also keep in mind flowing water coming into the tank will have lots of momentum, you must stop this momentum in its tracks otherwise it can sweep the settlement tank floor instead of settling the waste, it all depends where your incoming pipes area situated.
A local carp farm near me use this method and I use it on my pond ...
Put caps over the incoming pipes...looks like something you'd see on a chimney to stop water from entering... water enters into the tank and the momentum is halted by the spreading the flow out to the sides. I get settlement 1ft to 12ft of the tank.

No doubt about it you will be impressed with the results should you opt for a large settlement.

some food for thought...
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply and it looks like I'm up for it. Job for early in the new year me thinks and I hope it sorts out my settlement issues.

You mention benching, how steep is yours? I get the impression that a lot of people do have their floors quite flat, spreading the crap out very thinly.
greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by greg »

Removed.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Greg,

b) was what I thought some of you guys had mentioned, allowing longer periods between vacc'ing if required.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

So then Bob is it going to be a new settlement chamber now then :?:
dannyboy
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by dannyboy »

Bob,
So wheres all this time going to come from (your all ways working :twisted: :twisted: )
Do you want me to still keep an eye out for some 6" pipe :?:

Cheers DAN :wink:
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Yes Gazza, as I'm block built anyway, I may as well go the whole hog!

This will be the 4th or is it 5th settlement version over the 12-years of this block filter.

Seems to work for many others so worth a try for myself.

May well do early in the new year!
chr1ssy
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by chr1ssy »

:)

Well whats all this talk about block filters working well for others. :lol:
Seems to work for many others so worth a try for myself.
Hands up all those who in the last year said I was doing the right thing going for block filters. :roll: I don't believe there was anyone, and the more vocal ones strongly advised against it alltogether.

They work, they are more biologically efficient, they require less maintenance period.

Bob you are making the right choice keep seeking the lines of advice you are on and you will not regret it.

Regards
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Chrissy,

I have had a block filter for 12-years and still haven't got it to work properly - LOL

Perhaps this change will help, I'll find out soon enough.

If I'd had the money then, or even if I had money now, I'd rip the lot out and put 2 x Nexus 300's in there instead!

So I'm just trying to make the best of what I've got really. If it dont work, I'm completely knackered and wont have any avenue's to then pursue. We'll just have to see eh.

Glad yours is working well for you Chris