Remember these two??

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Paul,

remember a lot is to do with the genetics of the fish and breeder but most small fish will get a good growth in the correct conditions :wink:
passionateaboutkoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by passionateaboutkoi »

hi gazza
so even a complete growing on newbie like myself could get them to grow abit. :) i was just wondering what filtration do you use on your tank gazza and also how often do you turn over you volume of water.
cheers alot paul .
ps now ive started asking questions ill be like a three year old kid and wont stop :)
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Paul,

Hey ask away mate this is how we all learn and no better place than here as there is so much experience (and old people who've been doing it a while now) :D

I have a bin which is filled up with about a 15kg of BHM (Bacteria House Media) and is pumped directly from the bottom drain by a Aquamax 8000.

The tank is around 450gls and the pump does 1700gph so if you was to say i get 1000gph i turn it over around twice an hour.When i get some time ill try and gives you some pictures.
passionateaboutkoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

much appreciated gazza . your filtration sounds simple and effective , just what i like . some pics would be great if you get the chance . also what do you use as means of lighting ? as my shed has very limited natural light and wondered what would be the best option.
cheers alot paul
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Paul Here we go as you will see its just a normal bin filled with BHM and pumped directly from the bottom drain and depending how silly i go with food it can be fairly clear :wink:

I have a couple of small strip lights that i turn on when its dark and 40lts of air goes into the tank as well.

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_2148.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_1657.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_4013.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_2560.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_2763.JPG[/img]
Stefan
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Stefan »

Hi Gazza.
What size of drain do you use?
50 mm or 110 mm.
And how much BHM do you use?
I have a overwintering pond for my koi that i have been thinking of changing the filter setup.
This seem to be working great. Do you have any pics how you constructed it?

Cheers
Stefan
Stefan
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Stefan »

Sorry i didn´t read the above post on how much BHM you use :oops:

Do you do any waterchanges?

Cheers
Stefan
(I will try to read everything next time :D :D :D )
passionateaboutkoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

thanks for the pics and the info gazza , i cant wait to next spring hopefully i will have some good growth like you or half the amount would be alright by me :) one last question, how deep is your tank ? cheers alot paul
passionateaboutkoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

well with all this tank talk i thought i might aswell show what i will be putting into it . all about 10 cms except the ochiba at 12cm ish . any comments would be much appreciated good or bad cheers alot paul
passionateaboutkoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

and the others
Stefan
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Stefan »

Nice setup mate :D :D :D
Looking forward to see the progress on them.
Love the gin rin showa and the shiro.

Keep us updated.

Cheers
Stefan
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

The Tank is 4ft deep but it is on a slope so the drain is at the opposite end to the filters with the slope going down from the filter end to the drain so any "stuff" should go down the drain :D

Stefan,

The pipework is all 2" and it is also a 2" bottom drain (50mm) and yes i do do regular water changes on both the tank and my main system good clean water is the key i believe to keeping happy fish :D

They look OK Paul and i am sure with some heat and good filtration they will come on great over winter :wink:
passionateaboutkoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

gazza

thanks for the info much appreciated . what sort of size will you leave your fish grow to in your tank ? also in you bin shower system do you have a grid under your bhm to keep your return clear or does the bhm just sit on the bottom of the bin
cheers alot paul
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Paul,

How big well i think a couple are growing so fast i will have to take them out before winter already :shock: Last year i left them till they was over 35cm and they was more than happy.

The BHM just site in the bin i have been trying out what happens when i use some matting at the bottom of the bin and then the BHM on top and then just BHM.I can say that with the matting the water goes crystal clear and without it can get cloudy....but that may be the amount of food if i cut back i feel it would clear up :wink:
passionateaboutkoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

hi gazza
thanks for all the info :D . hopefully next spring i would have had as much success with growth as you have had.
cheers alot paul
ps when is the winter grow on going to get underway. :D