Build update...

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Andy

Looking good and I love the shape. Glad you got the skimmer sorted :D
As already said keep the photos coming as and when, and enjoy your holiday, you will need the rest to get ready to finsih the pond when you get back. :lol:
Andy E
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Wall footings and filter base

Post by Andy E »

Right, i'll keep this breif and attach a load of pics so you can see what I have been up to..

Thursday: knocked up 2 ton of concrete (30 wheel barrows full!) for the filter area base and started putting in the footings for some of the wall that will go around the pond. This was a little tricker than I had expected as the garden is on a slop and I had to step the concrete.

Friday: knocked up a further 18 barrow loads for the rest of the various walls that will be around the pond (inc. a raised bed at the back of the pond).

Saturday: I can barely move but hopefully the bricky is coming today so it looks like I will be doing a bit more labouring.

I'll keep you all posted with further developements :D

Andy
Attachments
steps.jpg
steps.jpg (35.69 KiB) Viewed 24586 times
me&concrete.jpg
me&concrete.jpg (49.97 KiB) Viewed 24586 times
Andy E
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Andy E »

A couple more pics.

Andy
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

That is looking good and i think will be stunning when finished :D
Ron_A
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Ron_A »

Very nice! As has already been said the shape looks great. The option of changing the flow direction is a nice addition too.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of this build.

Regards
Ron
Andy E
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Andy E »

Hi all,
My bricky bloke turned up this evening and started on some more of the block and brick work. It's fantastic to see the bricks going up as you really feel like the build is progressing. Now that all the internal blocks have been completed I just need to get the pond rendered, then I can look at getting the glassing done in the next few weeks.

He is back tomorrow to do the next stint..

Here are a few pics.

All the best,
Andy
Attachments
Brick2.jpg
Brick2.jpg (29.35 KiB) Viewed 24481 times
Bricks1.jpg
Bricks1.jpg (32.42 KiB) Viewed 24481 times
bricks3.jpg
bricks3.jpg (34.1 KiB) Viewed 24481 times
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Nice bricks Andy, really coming along well now.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Very nice its going to be a cracking pond :D
sharpy30
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by sharpy30 »

loking good andy wont be long at this rate.
Andy E
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Andy E »

Cheers for the kind comments guys
A bit more progress tonight, most can't be seen as it's in the filter area. But here are a couple of pics as the pond is now.

Will keep you posted on the progress and will try to get some day time shots.

All the best,

Andy
Attachments
bricks 22.jpg
bricks 22.jpg (22.76 KiB) Viewed 24433 times
bricks 11.jpg
bricks 11.jpg (31.29 KiB) Viewed 24433 times
Andy E
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Thing still moving on...

Post by Andy E »

Hi all,

Thought i'd update you all on how things are progressing. The bricky has been working some evenings only over the last few weeks due to having to work on-site at the weekends. So the progress has slowed a little (isn't it getting dark early now!)
Any way all the outer face brick work is now done so you can see the final outside shape. He has nearly finished the filter bay now so I will be moving the filters in at the weekend and start planning the pipe work and waste routes.
A mate of my brickies came around tonight to start the rendering which really makes me feel like I'm finally getting somewhere. He has done a first skim to the whole pond but needs to come back to smooth it off. He has rendered right up to the window board which will give me around 18mm for the window to sit in.
I covered the pond as best I could as I really want to get the fibreglassing done in the next couple of weeks, however the sky has just let rip so I may have to bail the pond out tomorrow!!

Anyway here's a couple of pics of the pond mid way through rendering..

All the best,

Andy
Attachments
Brick finish.jpg
Brick finish.jpg (42.01 KiB) Viewed 24366 times
brick finish2.jpg
brick finish2.jpg (38.09 KiB) Viewed 24366 times
rendering1.jpg
rendering1.jpg (44.29 KiB) Viewed 24366 times
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

love the brick colour andy ...gonna look good , keep us posted
Ron_A
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Ron_A »

Hi Andy, looking great. Soon be done now!

"" He has rendered right up to the window board which will give me around 18mm for the window to sit in ""

When you get a minute, any chance of a photo and a bit more detail on this? I'm weighing up the various ways of fitting the window to my new pond and it would be great to see some more detail of how you have done yours please?

Cheers

Regards
Ron
Andy E
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Andy E »

Hi all,

Came home this evening to find a problem with the rendering that had been done the pervious evening! It had been hammering down with rain all night and even with the covers I had put over the pond (poly carb and traps). In places all the render has ben washed away. Thankfully these are only bits here and there, but the renderer is having to come back to do some major repairs.

Anyway, Ron I have taken some pictures of the window area so you can get an idea of how I'm tackling the window. I'm doing the window the Bob H way 8) postioned a piece of ply 18mm thick on the inside of the pond over lapping the edge 30mm all the way around. I used a baton on the bottem of the sheet of ply screwed 30mm up from the bottem and totally level to hook on to the window opening (see pics) I then drilled 2 holes throught the ply and used another piece of wood and some rope to hold the sheet in place. The rendering guy then rendered right up to edge of the ply therefore giving 18mm depth all the way around. Once the render is dry the wood will be removed and the glassing will go into and around the 18mm gap. The the glass 12mm laminated (2 sheets of 6mm) will be stuck in the hole with don brevan (SP) and supported during setting.

In the pictures you can see where some of the render has been washed away.

Hope that makes some sense?

All the best.

Andy
Attachments
renderingc.jpg
renderingc.jpg (30.51 KiB) Viewed 24309 times
rendering b.jpg
rendering b.jpg (40.8 KiB) Viewed 24309 times
rendering a.jpg
rendering a.jpg (19.64 KiB) Viewed 24309 times
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Andy,

Looks like everything is coming along nicely, pity about the rain the other night though.

I cant take credit for the window frame idea though, I pinched bits of Idea's from Jules and Maurice, but doing it this way certainly saves time and money in having to have a frame made and then fitted. I've helped do 3 pond like this now, this being the fourth and it has worked well in every case.