Trickle Tower

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

Quick question for your DIY guru's out there.

Love the idea and setup of what Andy has done here and will be doing something very much like this soon, so want to ask a couple of questions.

I will be looking to use an Aquamax pump (not sure which one) on a skimmer in the future but for now it will be hanging over the pond wall. Now im thinking of doing the same design as Andy with a spray bar at the top which then filters down 4-5 boxes with flocor or K3 or whatever media I decide at a later date.

Now where I am thinking of putting this TT is at the back of my shed so will be about 6 foot away from the pond will it be ok for the last box in the TT to have a similar hole in it like the one shown earlier by Andy with the mesh which then pours into the below picture, I can then construct some type of pipe system that feeds the pond, will this be ok ??

[img]http://www.peninsulaplastics.co.uk/shop/ind ... oppers.jpg[/img]

Kind regards
Graham
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

Looks like a good way to connect pipes and not allow waste to collect on a flat bottom. WHat are they? Rainwater hoppers?
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

There are indeed Ted, I was trying to get around the issue of not having any waste at the bottom and these looked the part.

So from there it should be a few connectors to pipes at about 45 degree angle back into the pond.
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

Sorry for keeping bumping this thread and stuff, but need to ask a few more questions.

In respect of the size of the boxes used, should I be looking at a minimum of 30litre oh does size not matter ? I have lately seen a box in staples at 50litre thats looks great for the job but is it a case of waste of space ? more space more media more cash ??

Obviously water is passing straight through each box covering the media and working its way down and out is there anything I am missing ? heard comments scattered about saying watch what you buy as the boxes may leach toxins, does this meen the likes of the £1.79 plastic storage boxes you can pick up from tesco's are probably not suited or should I only be going for food grade boxes ?

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Graham
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Graham,

What media are you intending to use in the TT :?:

I wouldn't worry about it overflowing as long as you have plenty of holes or slots then the water will make its way through OK is this for a pond or QT Tank as its always best to try to give it some hight to help with the flow back to the pond/tank.

I have on my QT a cheap old bin that i bought from a DIY shop which was about £3.99 and it even come with another smaller one as i think most plastics are safe now as many people have home made showers out of cheap stacking boxes.
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

Thanks Gazza,

Was intending on using some or all of the mentioned, FloCor, Bac Balls, K3, JapMat.

Looking at the space I have, im thinking of a TT stack approx 4ft to 5ft in height which will the end up being connected up to a 4" pipe that goes to my pond..

Flow will not be a problem, does that sound ok Gazza?

Graham
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Graham,

So is that a 4" return pipe to the pond what about the supply from the pond to the TT and where is it coming from.The thing is sometimes a pipe can be to big and will reduce the flow back to the pond :?

My TT is fed from my skimmer line so i fixed a 2" pressure pipe to the skimmer which then goes to a Sequence 750 and basket so if anything does get through it stays in the basket so the TT gets clean water.
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

The TT will be fed from an Oase Aquamax (6000) which at this point in time will be hanging over the pond wall, this will then pump from the pond direct to the TT via 40mm flexi pipe, once it gets to the top I will use a few connectors so that its 40mm flexi to a 4" off cut pipe which i will then drill holes in so it sprays over an area.

the water will then pass through the TT chambers down into the drain Hopper in picture above, that in turn will the be connected to a 4" pipe that goes direct back to pond !!

My plan for the future will be to move the pump hanging over the wall and connect it up to a skimmer.

Regards
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

Just remember that an aquamax is terrible when it comes to lifting water. Moving the water up 3 feet will reduce your output by more than half!

B.Scott
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

Would you then suggest a bigger pump like a 8000 or 10000 or would you suggest a different make ? Not many pumps you can actually put in the pond and as ive used Oase before I thought stick with what you know.

Thanks B.Scott
James Pond
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by James Pond »

I got a cheap 7000lph Hailiea pump fom Ebay to try on my QT. For £24 brand new I thought I may as wll give it a go, well it's sat on the QT floor, the spraybar on the TT is just over 6ft up and I have measured the outflow at over 5000lph, which I am very impressed with. The one downside is that it is rated at 200w, and I would guess it probably uses more due to the volume it pumps at a high head.

Reliability is obviously unknown as yet, and long term it wont be particularly cheap to run, but as B Scott says a low wattage aquamax just doesn't cut the mustard when pumping any sort of head.

It has a screw in inlet/outlet, they are funny sizes - the inlet takes 40mm push fit (very tight fit) and the outlet takes 32mm solvent weld, but it's easy enough to hook them up to any diameter solvent weld or flexi pipe with adaptors and reducers I got from B&Q for a couple of quid.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

On my QT all the pipe is 2" and its not got any long runs and i use an Aquamax 8000 and it works OK i am going to do the bucket test ASAP to find out the total output.

As you never know i may put a proper purpose made shower on there one day and need a better flow :wink:
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

guys attached is a quick diagram of my options, which would you think would be the better of the two ?? I know im limited for my options but I would have thought one would work sufficient enough so that I could bring a TT into my pond filtration setup.

Kind regards
Graham

[img]http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~gmccartney/Koi/TTidea.JPG[/img]
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kayoss »

Hi Graham

If you go with the first option you'll have to prime the pump (possibly each time you turn it off/on) and may have trouble with airlocks in the section of pipe going over the pond wall. :(

Second option should work OK. :D

Cheers

Bob
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

My skimmer is about the same as you propose but with the skimmer outside of the pond and the pump below the pond level. I also put a pump fed sieve between the skimmer and the TT. The Skimmer picks up lots of crud and it is quite a handy thing to have as it stops all the crapola from getting into the TT and the pipe that feeds it!.

B.Scott