Filter alterations 2006 - Phase 4

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Filter alterations 2006 - Phase 4

Post by Bob Hart »

Hi all, moving quickly onto the next phase, this is a drawing of what I'm proposing.

This will be a very 'big easy' with a throughput of 5000 gallons per hour and will be made from a water but. Sizes are as per the drawing, but of course not to scale.

Any thoughts/comments on this plan??????

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... 20Jpeg.JPG[/img]
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

See i told you he like drawings and planing thats better than i get at work sometimes Bob :shock: :lol:
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

I like it Bob. Particularly the fact that when drained down you have full access underneath to pick out blanket weed, stray frogs etc.

I have to convert my vortex on my multibay and horizontal pipes sat on the wier could be an option for that. Any worries about clogging around the pipes? I suppose 2 No. 6" pipes is a fair amount of flow so should be OK.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Ted,

You've got the design in one, I like to be able to see what 'may' be clogging up the bottom drain area, or what is not being flushed away.

This design means you can still see around the sides of the 'Easy' unit.

Just need to see that I can drill 700+ holes in the 6" pipes without it losing it's strength. 700 x 8mm holes is the equivenent of 2 x 6" pipes cross sectional area, so I'm guessing I'll have to drill 800 minimum to ensure there is no restriction in water flow.

I runa similar horizontal pipe easy on my growing on pond and it seems to work well.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

You may need some extra just in case it starts blocking up :shock: its only a few holes :lol:

I will have to re-count mine as i think i have about 400 odd .....i remember drilling them out..... :!:
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

590 holes drilled, didnt take too long. Battery recharging now, hope to get all the holes in the butt drilled later on this afternoon.

Got to take a break now, have to rig up an outside light and a Kareoke machine for someone this afternoon, for tomorrows party!!!!!!!! Cant see me doing a lot on Sunday though - lol
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

I'd calculated that to get the same cross sectional area as 2 x 6" pipes I'd need to drill 700 x 8mm holes. But the more the merrier and I've now drilled 1300 into the base and bottom portion of the water butt. Every hole has been countersunk and gone over with a stanley knife blade to remove any burrs. This part took ages, but worth it as there is nothing for any weed or rubbish to now stick to.

The water but was far thicker than a plastic dustbin, so will therefore be stronger - but of course heavier!

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... CN2756.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... CN2757.JPG[/img]

Purchased a 4 foot square sheet of 3mm thick food grade plastic today. I'll use this to make up the transfer port area, with some quaderant to strenthen it.
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Bob that would of driven me crazy drilling all them holes, you must have the patients of a saint mate...
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Looking good young man....as always :roll:
sharpy30
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by sharpy30 »

i cant beleive how quick he is with it all i would be still on phase one...

looks good though :lol:

keep up the good work and the reports.

cheers dave
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Don't worry Dave he has been planing this for a long long time :wink: but once he gets going there is no stopping him :D
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

bob ...did you count the holes as you went about it ?, you must have the patience of a saint , looking good though.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Counted every one Gerry, strange isnt it, I count lots of things I'm a bit weird like that - LOL

Just wanted to know how many there were and when I was passed 700

Dave - Gazza is right, been planning this assualt for nearly a year. Idea's from Gazza and Dave A plus a few of my own. No point in anging around once the plans are in place.

Wont get much done tomorrow though, day out looking at Koi, Sunday is planned for a hang over!
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

I bet you will be planning when to install it now :roll: :wink:

Have a nice day out and enjoy yourselves sorry i cant make it but unfortunately i am at work the weekend :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Next Saturday Gazza!